1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Least Squares Solution - Or is there?

1. Apr 18, 2007 #1
    I have a problem that says to find the least squares solution to
    [tex]\newcommand{\colv}[2] {\left(\begin{array}{c} #1 \\ #2 \end{array}\right)}
    K x = \colv{2}{2}[/tex] for
    [tex] K = \left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    1 & 2\\
    2 & 4
    \end{array} \right)[/tex]. Then express the solution in the form x = w + z, where w is in the corange, and z is in the kernel.

Since the determinate of the matrix K will be zero, then there should be infinite least squares solutions since the kernel is non-zero, correct? When I try to find a solution by multiplying each side by K^T, I get no solution rather than infinite solutions. Specifically the sytem

[tex] \newcommand{\colv}[2] {\left(\begin{array}{c} #1 \\ #2
    \left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    5 & 10\\
    0 & 0
    \end{array} \right) x = \colv{0}{10}[/tex]

How can I find the least square of a matrix with determinate zero? Everything I know is based off the fact that the matrix will be invertible.

*My last matrix is messed up somehow, it should be the augmented matrix {{5,10 | 5},{0,0 | 10}}.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2
    Nevermind, I made a calculation error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?