1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Legendre Polynomials - how to find P0(u) and P2(u)?

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    Pl(u) is normalized such that Pl(1) = 1. Find P0(u) and P2(u)

note: l, 0 and 2 are subscript

recursion relation

an+2 = [n(n+1) - l (l+1) / (n+2)(n+1)] an

n is subscript

substituted λ = l(l+1) and put n=0 for P0(u) and n=2 for P2(u), didnt get very far

please could someone give me a point in the right direction or a youtube video to explain the process used to solve this? really lost.

thanks for any advice

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You wrote
    [tex] a_n + 2 = \left[n(n+1) - \frac{l(l+1)}{(n+2)(n+2)} \right] a_n [/tex]
    Is that what you really mean, or did you want
    [tex] a_{n+2} = \left[ \frac{n(n+1) - l(l+1)}{(n+2)(n+1)}\right] a_n ?[/tex]
    If so, please use parentheses properly.

Anyway, I don't see what this approach will get you, since you have the recursion for a fixed value of ##l##---that is, the recursion that tells you how to get ##P_l(x)## for fixed ##l##, given some initial conditions. There is nothing there that tells you how to relate ##P_{l-1}(x)## and ##P_{l+1}(x)## to ##P_l(x)##. Normalization comes from outside the differential equation and outside the recursion. Look up Legendre functions in a textbook or via Google.

Note added in edit: I see that you might have meant ##P_l##; the font you used made it look like ##P_1##. Anyway, you might find it useful to look at http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~fry/6346/legendre.pdf .

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  4. May 8, 2014 #3
    apologies, yes it's this:

i think the idea is to put l=0 for P0(u) and l=2 for P2(u)

but not really sure what to do after that.

will have a look at the link, thank-you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted