Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length Contraction Documentary

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    I need help with length contraction.
    I need videos that explains or proves that length contraction is possible even if it is just the visual interpretation of an observer.
    pls help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6328514962912264988# [Broken] video was recently posted in another thread. I have only seen a few seconds, but it appears to be what you need. There's some stuff about Lorentz contraction in it. Note that it's part of a series of videos. You might want to check out the others too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jan 20, 2010 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fredrik has helped with this.
    For an explanation of what an observer actually sees (a Terrell-Penrose rotation), read

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2320863#post2320863.

For images of what an observer sees, click on the two links given by A.T. in post #3 in the same thread.

5. Jan 21, 2010 #4
    wow, thank you, who is Fredrik? could you please post the link here?

6. Jan 21, 2010 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

See post #2 in this thread. The very first word is a link. :smile:

7. Jan 22, 2010 #6
    thank you everyone,

not being so demanding, could you please post more links here, i need them badly.

please.

8. Jan 22, 2010 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from posting more links to videos, but I don't think more of the same is what you need. You should probably just watch a video or two in that series and then ask questions here about specific details that you found hard to understand.

9. Jan 22, 2010 #8
    but, i'm actually looking for videos that i could use for the documentary that i will be making,
    it will serve like a proof for the occurrence of length contraction.

10. Jan 22, 2010 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Jan 22, 2010 #10
    i have seen these but i think it's not that related to length contraction, the video is about time dilation.

another familiar video, it's about simultaneity, and has almost no connection to length contraction,

this video is really a great help, it explains the connection between time dilation and length contraction. It's about the way they measure the length, right? if your clock ticks more slowly than that of the stationary observer, then, at a constant relativistic velocity, you cover a greater distance in a smaller period of time.

this explains how the world will look like when you travel at a velocity near the speed of light, it doesn't actually explains how time dilation happens.

Fredrik, thanks for these videos, but most of these are not the ones that i'm looking for, do you have a video wherein there is an interview of a physics professor or a lecture from a university?
    thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Feb 15, 2010 #11
    excuse me, i need more help.
    i dont know how to start the documentary.
    but i actually thought of something.

i'll start with the introduction,
    then after that, i'll be explaining length contraction even more
    then, i'll show how the formula was derived
    then, show length contraction in different perspectives
    then, train paradox
    then, the possibility of length contraction.

is this ok already?
    please reply right away.
    tnx.

13. Feb 15, 2010 #12
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook