1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of vector perpendicular to plane

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]\vec{a},\vec{b},\vec{c}[/itex] be three constant vectors drawn from the origin to the points [itex]A,B,C[/itex]. What is the distance from the origin to the plane defined by the points [itex]A,B,C[/itex]? What is the area of the triangle [itex]ABC[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Starting with the first part:

The distance is the length of a perpendicular vector from the origin to the plane. If that vector is [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], then
    [tex]\vec{r} \cdot (\vec{a} - \vec{b}) = \vec{r} \cdot (\vec{b} - \vec{c}) = \vec{r} \cdot (\vec{c} - \vec{a}) = \vec{r} \cdot (\vec{a} - \vec{r}) = 0\\ \vec{r} \cdot \vec{a} = \vec{r} \cdot \vec{b} = \vec{r} \cdot \vec{c} = r^2[/tex]
    by perpendicularity.

I can also get
    [tex]\vec{r} \times [(\vec{a} - \vec{b}) \times (\vec{b} - \vec{c})] = 0[/tex]
    by a similar argument, but I don't think it really helps.

I'm stuck here. Is there another relationship that I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2
    There's a simple formula that if you can write the equation of the plane in the form of [itex]ax + by + cz + d = 0[/itex], then the distance from that plane to the origin is [itex]d/\sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}[/itex]. To be honest, I'm not sure how to prove this using just regular 3d vector geometry. This would be an ideal situation to use homogeneous coordinates, but I expect that's a bit more advanced.

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You said ##\vec{r}\cdot\vec{a} = r^2##. If you used the unit vector ##\hat{r}=\vec{r}/||\vec{r}||## instead, you'd have ##\hat{r}\cdot\vec{a} = r##. Can you think of a way to find the unit normal to the plane in terms of ##\vec{a}##, ##\vec{b}##, and ##\vec{c}##.

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4
    The cross product of two vectors between points in the plane is normal to the plane, so we have
    [tex]\hat{r} = \frac{(\vec{a} - \vec{b}) \times (\vec{c} - \vec{b})}{\|(\vec{a} - \vec{b}) \times (\vec{c} - \vec{b})\|}[/tex]

[tex](\vec{a} - \vec{b}) \times (\vec{c} - \vec{b}) = \vec{a} \times \vec{c} - \vec{a} \times \vec{b} - \vec{b} \times \vec{c} + \vec{b} \times \vec{b} = \vec{a} \times \vec{c} + \vec{b} \times \vec{a} + \vec{c} \times \vec{b}[/tex]

[tex]r = \vec{a} \cdot \hat{r} = \frac{\vec{a} \cdot (\vec{a} \times \vec{c}) + \vec{a} \cdot (\vec{b} \times \vec{a}) + \vec{a} \cdot (\vec{c} \times \vec{b})}{\|\vec{a} \times \vec{c} + \vec{b} \times \vec{a} + \vec{c} \times \vec{b}\|} = \frac{\vec{a} \cdot (\vec{c} \times \vec{b})}{\|\vec{a} \times \vec{c} + \vec{b} \times \vec{a} + \vec{c} \times \vec{b}\|}[/tex]

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook