1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lennard Jones Potential & Kinetic Energy

1. Nov 21, 2014 #1
    So I'm trying to model two particle interaction subject only to Lennard Jones potential. I have a specific potential I am using: B3AADfbCIAEOi8o.jpg

My problem is forcing the two particles into the potential well. I have the particles at a separation distance of 2.5*10-8. The way I interpret this potential is that I can set a total energy of -6.0*10-20 by giving the particles a Kinetic Energy of 3.95*10-20 (Where Total Energy TE=KE + U or KE = TE - U => KE = -6.0*10-20 +9.95*10-20 = 3.95*10-20 , the -9.95*10-20 comes from U(2.5*10-8).

To set the kinetic energy I'm using 1/2 m (v12+v22). And giving particle 1 an initial velocity equal to some factor of particle 2's velocity.

Unfortunately, this is still not working. So I am either interpreting the different energy requirements on the diagram wrong - or not calculating the velocity for the KE correctly. Any ideas??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2014 #2
    How many dimensions? In dimensions higher than 1 you'll need a centrifugal term.

Actually, I'm not sure if this answers your question.

4. Nov 21, 2014 #3
    Good Point - I should have specified. This is all 1-D, I will 'upscale' to 3-D later, but for now, I just want the simplest model.

5. Nov 22, 2014 #4
    What isn't working about it? It might be easier to work out in an inertial frame where one particle has 0 velocity.

6. Nov 22, 2014 #5
    Well I didn't want to get into the details too far - I mostly want to make sure my interpretation of the Energies are correct. I could try starting the particle at 0 velocity - but - the potential will move it I'm sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook