Let [ ] be a countable number of finite sets. Prove [ ]

So the function is not one-to-one.Sorry I made a mistake in my post and I can't see how to edit it. The first number of Bi is mapped to ##m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + j##, the second to ##m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + j+1##, and so forth. So the function is one-to-one.I think he's just showing a way to number the elements of the union. If you have countably many sets, you can label them B1, B2,.... So if you have three sets, you can
s3a

Homework Statement

Problem:
Let A_1 , A_2 , . . . be a countable number of finite sets. Prove that the union S = ⋃_i A_i is countable.

Solution:
Included in the TheProblemAndSolution.jpg file.

Homework Equations

Set-theoretic algebra.

The Attempt at a Solution

Unless I missed something, it seems that I understand everything about that solution except why the author chose to use ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + j##.

Could someone please explain to me why that specific function was constructed? I get that the author is trying to show that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the set S and the set of natural numbers, but I don't understand that particular sum was chosen. What's the logic behind the decision?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

Problem:
Let A_1 , A_2 , . . . be a countable number of finite sets. Prove that the union S = ⋃_i A_i is countable.

Solution:
Included in the TheProblemAndSolution.jpg file.

Homework Equations

Set-theoretic algebra.

The Attempt at a Solution

Unless I missed something, it seems that I understand everything about that solution except why the author chose to use ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + j##.

Could someone please explain to me why that specific function was constructed? I get that the author is trying to show that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the set S and the set of natural numbers, but I don't understand that particular sum was chosen. What's the logic behind the decision?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

You didn't link you jpg correctly. So I can't see it. But it appears the author is just writing a function that counts total number of elements in the finite union of all of the sets before the i'th set and then includes j elements of the i'th set.

Oops!

Here is the image I meant to attach (just in case you misinterpreted the situation, which I don't think you did, but just in case).

Is ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + m_i## equivalent to ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + j##? I don't know if it's because it's late as I write this, but I still don't see why the authors chose the specific letters they did.

Also you said "finite union", was that a mistake? I say this, because there can be a countably infinite amount of sets (where each set has a finite number of elements).

Attachments

• TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 478
s3a said:
Oops!

Here is the image I meant to attach (just in case you misinterpreted the situation, which I don't think you did, but just in case).

Is ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + m_i## equivalent to ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + j##? I don't know if it's because it's late as I write this, but I still don't see why the authors chose the specific letters they did.

Also you said "finite union", was that a mistake? I say this, because there can be a countably infinite amount of sets (where each set has a finite number of elements).

The author is just counting the elements in ##S## to get a 1-1 correspondence with the natural numbers. If there are three elements in ##B_1## then assign them to 1,2,3. Then if there are four elements in ##B_2## assign them to 4,5,6,7. Etc, etc. That formula just expresses that way of counting. So, for example, for the second element of ##B_2##, ##b_{22}=3+2=5##.

So, would that be a yes to the question

"Is ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + m_i## equivalent to ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + j##?"

?

s3a said:
So, would that be a yes to the question

"Is ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + m_i## equivalent to ##f(b_{ij}) = m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + j##?"

?
No. Each member of {bij} must be mapped to a different number. Suppose you have mapped B1 to the first m1, numbers (1 to m1), B2 to the next m2 numbers (m1+1 to m1+m2) and so forth up to Bi-1. We are now in the process of mapping Bi. The first of Bi is mapped to ##m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} +1##, the second to ##m_1 + m_2 + . . . + m_{i - 1} + 2##, etc.

1. What does it mean to be a countable number of finite sets?

A countable number of finite sets refers to a collection of sets that can be counted and whose elements are limited in number. This means that the sets have a finite number of elements and can be listed in a specific order.

2. How do you prove a statement involving a countable number of finite sets?

To prove a statement involving a countable number of finite sets, you can use mathematical induction. This method involves proving the statement for the first set, then showing that if the statement holds for any set, it also holds for the next set. By repeating this process, you can prove the statement for all sets in the countable collection.

3. Can you provide an example of proving a statement involving a countable number of finite sets?

One example of proving a statement involving a countable number of finite sets is proving that the sum of the first n positive integers is equal to n(n+1)/2. This can be done by first showing that the statement holds for n=1, then assuming it holds for n=k and proving it holds for n=k+1. By repeating this process, the statement can be proven for all positive integers.

4. Are there any other methods besides mathematical induction to prove a statement involving a countable number of finite sets?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove a statement involving a countable number of finite sets. These include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive. The specific method used will depend on the statement being proven and the preference of the scientist.

5. How is the concept of countable number of finite sets used in scientific research?

The concept of countable number of finite sets is used in various fields of science, including computer science, mathematics, and physics. It is often used to describe and analyze discrete systems, such as digital data or particles in a physical system. Countable sets are also used in statistics and probability to represent and analyze finite samples.