1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let [itex]V= \mathbb{R}_3[x][/itex] be the vector space of polynomials

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    Let [itex]V= \mathbb{R}_3[x][/itex] be the vector space of polynomials with real coefficients with degree at most 3 and let [itex]D:V\to V[/itex] be the linear operator of taking derivatives, [itex]D(f)=f'[/itex].

I'm trying to check the Rank-nullity theorem for this example but it doesn't seem to hold:

Since [itex]D[/itex] is not injective (e.g. images of [itex]x^2[/itex] and [itex]x^2+1[/itex] are both [itex]2x[/itex]), [itex]\text{Ker}(D)\neq \{ \bf{0} \}[/itex]. (The kernel is actually all the constant polynomials).

Since [itex]D[/itex] is surjective (as every polynomial is the derivative of some other polynomial), [itex]\text{Im}(D)=V=\mathbb{R}_3[x][/itex].

Now the Rank-nullity formula is:

[itex]\text{dim}(\text{Ker}(D)) + \text{dim}(\text{Im}(D)) = \text{dim}(V)[/itex].

But [itex]\text{dim}(\text{Im}(D)) = \text{dim}(\mathbb{R}_3[x]) = 4 = \text{dim}(V)[/itex]

so if the Rank-nullity formula holds this would imply [itex]\text{dim}(\text{Ker}(D))=0[/itex] but it doesn't as [itex]D[/itex] is not injective, so what's going on?

EDIT: D is not surjective! How do I find a basis for the Kernel and Image?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Rank-nullity

Your mistake is here. Im(D) != R3. The image of a polynomial of degree 3 is a polynomial of degree 2, so Im(D) does not contain 3rd degree polynomials, hence D is not onto (surjective).

BTW, the notation used in this problem seems nonstandard to me. The space of real polynomials of degree less than n is often called Pn. So your space would normally be called P4. At least, that's the notation I've seen most often.

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3

Yeah I realised that restricting the degrees of the polynomials made D not surjective.

So with this notation does [itex]\text{Im}(D) = \mathbb{R}_2[x][/itex] (i.e. Polynomials in x with real coefficients with degree at most 2)?

We know [itex]\text{Ker}(D)=\{ \text{constant polynomials} \}[/itex] so to describe all the bases of [itex]\text{Ker}(D)[/itex] can I just say the set of singletons [itex]\{k\}[/itex] where [itex]k\in\mathbb{R} \setminus \{0\}[/itex] ? So [itex]\text{Ker}(D)[/itex] has dimension 1.

And [itex]\text{Im}(D) = \mathbb{R}_2[x][/itex] so a basis for the image is [itex]\{1,x,x^2 \}[/itex] with dimension 3. Then 1+3=4=dim(V) so the Rank-nullity formula is satisfied.

5. Oct 21, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes.
    Yes, Ker(D) has dimension 1. You don't need to (and shouldn't) exclude the 0 polynomial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook