Conclusion about the dimension of C°(R)?

In summary, the conversation discussed a linear map A:E→E, where E=C°(ℝ), the vector space of all continuous functions, and its left inverse. It was shown that the derivative of a continuous function is not continuous, leading to the conclusion that dim(E) must be infinite. The approach of finding an infinite linearly independent set was suggested as an alternative method to prove the infinite dimensionality of E. The conversation also touched upon the potential for new research in the topic.
Rodrigo Schmidt
[mentor note: thread moved from Linear Algebra to here hence no homework template]

So, i was doing a Linear Algebra exercise on my book, and thought about this.

We have a linear map A:E→E, where E=C°(ℝ), the vector space of all continuous functions.
Let's suppose that Aƒ= x0 ƒ(t)dt.

By the Calculus Fundamental Theorem, d/dx(Aƒ) = ƒ, so we have a left inverse, which implies that ker(A)={0}.

Supposing that dim(E) is finite, by the rank-nullity theorem we have that im(A)=E . As a result of that:
(ƒ(x)=|x|) ∈ E ⇒ ƒ ∈ im(A)
⇒dƒ/dx ∈ E

But we know that ƒ's derivative is not continuous. So, supposing that dim(E) is finite lead us to a contradition (dƒ/dx ∈ E ∧ dƒ/dx ∉ E) therefore dim(E) must be infinite.

Is this argument valid? If not, could you guys point where does it fail? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes S.G. Janssens
Physics news on Phys.org
Rodrigo Schmidt said:
We have a linear map A:E→E, where E=C°(ℝ), the vector space of all continuous functions.
Let's suppose that Aƒ= x0 ƒ(t)dt.
Note that the right-hand side is ##(Af)(x)##, not ##Af##.

Rodrigo Schmidt said:
But we know that ƒ's derivative is not continuous.
The derivative is not even defined at ##x = 0##.

Rodrigo Schmidt said:
Is this argument valid?
Yes, it is valid, but it is quite convoluted. If you insist on doing it this way, I would prefer to say that you have found a linear operator ##A## that is injective but not surjective (the latter because ##A## maps into ##C^1(\mathbb{R})##). This already implies infinite dimensionality of ##E##, since on a finite dimensional space injectivity and surjectivity are equivalent for linear operators.

Of course, if you merely care to show that ##E## is infinite dimensional, it is more straightforward to identify an infinite linearly independent set.

Likes Rodrigo Schmidt
Thanks for the knowledge shared!
Krylov said:
I would prefer to say that you have found a linear operator AAA that is injective but not surjective (the latter because AAA maps into C1(R)C1(R)C^1(\mathbb{R}))
I hadn't tought that, that's, indeed, much simpler.
Krylov said:
Of course, if you merely care to show that EEE is infinite dimensional, it is more straightforward to identify an infinite linearly independent set.
So the basis of the set of all polynomials would be enough?

Rodrigo Schmidt said:
Thanks for the knowledge shared!

I hadn't tought that, that's, indeed, much simpler.

The set of all polynomials is too large to be a basis for ##C_0##, but ##\{1,x,x^2,\dots\}## would do.

this is very nice, and shows a creative grasp of what you are learning. keep it up and you will eventually do some new research!

Likes Rodrigo Schmidt and S.G. Janssens
mathwonk said:
this is very nice, and shows a creative grasp of what you are learning. keep it up and you will eventually do some new research!
While I usually like the straightforward approach best (maybe this is one of the differences between a "pure" mathematician and an (aspiring) "applied" mathematician?), I gave it some thought and then came to the conclusion that I agree with you.

Just as an exercise, you could try to complete the direct approach as well. (You are almost there, anyway.)

Likes Rodrigo Schmidt
LCKurtz said:
The set of all polynomials is too large to be a basis for C0C0C_0, but {1,x,x2,…}{1,x,x2,…}\{1,x,x^2,\dots\} would do.
Krylov said:
you could try to complete the direct approach as well.
Hm, i see, but isn't that the basis of the set of all polynomials? So, by being a basis, that must be a linearly independent set, and it's also infinite, so that implies in the infinite dimensionality of C°(ℝ)?
mathwonk said:
That's where i want to get someday. Thanks for the inspiration!

Likes S.G. Janssens
Rodrigo Schmidt said:
Hm, i see, but isn't that the basis of the set of all polynomials? So, by being a basis, that must be a linearly independent set, and it's also infinite, so that implies in the infinite dimensionality of C°(ℝ)?
I think that I and post #4 misunderstood you when you wrote
Rodrigo Schmidt said:
We (or I, at least) thought that here you asserted that the set of all polynomials itself is a basis for a linear subspace of ##C^0(\mathbb{R})##, maybe because you wrote "the basis". However, from what you wrote afterwards (quoted at the top of this post), I get that you meant any (Hamel) basis for the linear space of all polyniomials. (For example, you can indeed use the canonical basis mentioned in post #4. By the way, I think there the ##C_0## was written by small mistake.)

Very good, as far as I can see, you are more than done.

Last edited:
Likes Rodrigo Schmidt
Krylov said:
I get that you meant any (Hamel) basis for the linear space of all polyniomials.
Yeah, that's what i meant. Sorry if i wasn't clear enough! English is not my mother language so, mostly when writing about math and science, my texts can get a little confusing. I will try to be more specific in the next time.

Krylov said:
Very good, as far as I can see, you are more than done.
Okay! Thanks for the support and knowledge shared!

1. What is the dimension of C°(R)?

The dimension of C°(R) is infinite. This means that there is an uncountable number of linearly independent continuous functions on the real line.

2. How is the dimension of C°(R) determined?

The dimension of C°(R) is determined by the number of linearly independent continuous functions that can span the space. This is typically done through the use of basis functions, such as polynomials or trigonometric functions.

3. Is the dimension of C°(R) the same as the dimension of R?

No, the dimension of C°(R) and R are not the same. While R is a one-dimensional space, C°(R) is an infinite-dimensional space.

4. What is the significance of the dimension of C°(R) in mathematics?

The dimension of C°(R) is significant in many areas of mathematics, including functional analysis, Fourier analysis, and differential equations. It helps us understand the properties of continuous functions and their applications in various fields.

5. Can the dimension of C°(R) change?

No, the dimension of C°(R) is a fundamental property of the space and cannot change. However, the dimension of a subspace of C°(R) may be different depending on the basis functions used to span the subspace.