Letters in expressions and formulas

In summary, The individual is seeking help understanding letters in expressions and formulas, specifically the notation of exponents. They are having trouble finding helpful information and are reaching out for assistance before contacting their tutor. They are also recommended a website for A-level maths topics.
Grog85
Hello, first post for me so I am sorry if this is in the wrong topic.

I'm am from the UK studying A-Level Physics.

I understand some formulas but this is testing me. Before I message my tutor I thought I would try here. Looks like a very useful website.

Letters in expressions and formulas.

v2 = u2 + 2as

I normally understand maths when I know the rules.

2 × 5 is written as 2 × 5 or 10
2 × a is written as 2a
a × b is written as ab

I don't seem to understand this and I can't seem to find helpful information and I will not skip the page.

Sorry if this is in the wrong topic and thank you for your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Grog85 said:
v2 = u2 + 2as
Do you mean ##u^2## and ##v^2##, with the 2 small and high? In that case, it is called an exponent and, in the present case, means "squared":
$$
u^2 = u \times u
$$
and
$$
v^5 = v \times v \times v \times v \times v
$$
You can have a look at Wikipedia for what it means when the exponent is not a positive integer.

Multiplication is used so much in maths that it's simply much easier to get rid of the [itex]\times[/itex] symbol. This also meant that the letter [itex]x[/itex] could be used as a variable (and it's used a lot) without running into problems of ambiguity between it being a variable or a multiplication symbol.

Whenever you have a situation like [itex]2\times 5[/itex] then you're expected to evaluate that to 10, while [itex]2\times a=2a[/itex] cannot be simplified further so it's ok to leave as it is.

Other than that, I don't see what's so confusing about the notation.

DrClaude said:
Do you mean ##u^2## and ##v^2##, with the 2 small and high? In that case, it is called an exponent and, in the present case, means "squared":

Yes, small 2 above the u.

Thank you for your help. I'll see how I get on.

You must have missed a couple of days in algebra class.

Grog85, if you're going to be studying physics, you'll need to get the algebra difficulties squared away first.

1. What are letters in expressions and formulas?

Letters in expressions and formulas are variables that represent unknown quantities or values. They are often represented by symbols such as x, y, or z.

2. How are letters used in mathematical expressions?

Letters are used in mathematical expressions to represent unknown quantities or values that can change. They allow for a more general form of an equation that can be used to solve for different values.

3. What is the difference between a letter and a number in an expression?

A number in an expression has a fixed value, while a letter represents a variable that can take on different values. Numbers are constants, while letters are variables.

4. Can letters be used in formulas other than mathematical equations?

Yes, letters can also be used in scientific formulas to represent variables such as time, distance, or temperature. They are used to describe the relationship between different quantities in a scientific equation.

5. How do you solve for a letter in an expression or formula?

To solve for a letter in an expression or formula, you must use algebraic techniques such as isolating the variable, factoring, or using the distributive property. The goal is to rearrange the equation to have the letter on one side and the known values on the other side.