Letters of Recommendation Waiver

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether or not to waive the right to see college recommendations. One person believes that not waiving the right can potentially hurt a student's chances because admissions may question the honesty of the recommendations. However, the other person argues that waiving the right may actually benefit the student as it shows confidence in the recommendations. The standard advice is to waive the right in order to have stronger, confidential recommendations.
Doctor Elect
Just a quick question. I'm passing out college recommendations right now and it asked me whether or not I want to waive my right to see the recommendations. My friends swears that not waiving your right can actually hurt you becuase they will think the teachers aren't being honest. Is this true.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think the opposite, if you don't waive your right to see them, then when the admissions looks at them, they don't know if the glowing rec is because you really deserve it, or because the person who wrote it knew you could read it later so they didn't say anything bad.

jbusc said:
I would think the opposite, if you don't waive your right to see them, then when the admissions looks at them, they don't know if the glowing rec is because you really deserve it, or because the person who wrote it knew you could read it later so they didn't say anything bad.

oops, I forgot to put "not" in the paragraph

I know all the theoritical ways in which it could hurt but does anyone know if it actually does. Because I want to see my recommendations if it doesn't seriously hurt me.

Standard advice is to waive your right. Confidential rec is weighted more heavily.

1. What is a "Letters of Recommendation Waiver"?

A "Letters of Recommendation Waiver" is a document that indicates that the applicant has voluntarily waived their right to view their letters of recommendation. This means that the letters will remain confidential and the applicant will not have access to them.

2. Why would someone choose to waive their right to view their letters of recommendation?

There are a few reasons why someone may choose to waive their right to view their letters of recommendation. One reason is that it shows confidence in the individuals writing the letters and their ability to provide an honest and unbiased assessment. It can also prevent any potential bias or pressure for the letter writers to write more positively.

3. Are letters of recommendation required to be confidential?

No, letters of recommendation are not required to be confidential. However, many institutions and organizations may have policies in place that require letters of recommendation to be confidential. It is important to check with the specific institution or organization for their policies regarding confidential letters of recommendation.

4. Can I still read my letters of recommendation if I have waived my right to view them?

No, if you have waived your right to view your letters of recommendation, you will not be able to read them. This is a legal and binding agreement that you have made with the letter writers.

5. Can I change my mind and request to view my letters of recommendation after waiving my right?

Once you have waived your right to view your letters of recommendation, you cannot change your mind and request to view them. The waiver is a legal document that cannot be reversed. It is important to carefully consider your decision before signing the waiver.