Li+ battery charger chip without buck

The author is looking for a chip that only includes charge management and does not have built-in buck circuitry or control. They mention that they may need a slightly higher input voltage and control circuitry for output current and voltage. They are seeking recommendations for a suitable chip that meets their needs. In summary, the article discusses the author's search for a charge controller chip without built-in buck circuitry and asks for recommendations for a suitable chip.
ElectroPhysics
hi
I want to design a 4 cell (16.8V) lithium ion battery charger. The normal chips available have built in buck (reall buck or synchronous buck) or at least control circuitry for buck with external mosfets. This is necessary as wall adapter/source input voltage are higher and unregulated.
what I want to say is if I already have regulated 16.8V then I only need a chip that can do charge management and does not include buck circiutry or its control (may be I would need slightly higher input voltage say 17.2V with some milivolts drop on the mosfet, that will be used to control the output current and voltage in current source and voltage source mode etc and control via that chip).

Any idea which chip in the market is available for my solution and does not have that buck circuitry.

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200210/lithiumion.htm

That article discusses the various types of charge controller chips on the market.

1. What is a Li+ battery charger chip without buck?

A Li+ battery charger chip without buck is a type of integrated circuit (IC) that is used to charge lithium-ion (Li+) batteries without the need for a buck converter. It is specifically designed for use in portable electronic devices and can efficiently charge the battery without generating excess heat.

2. How does a Li+ battery charger chip without buck work?

The chip works by regulating the voltage and current that is being supplied to the battery during the charging process. It uses a series of switches and control circuits to control the flow of electricity, ensuring that the battery is charged safely and efficiently.

3. What are the advantages of using a Li+ battery charger chip without buck?

One of the main advantages is its compact size, making it ideal for use in small electronic devices. It also offers high efficiency, low heat generation, and precise control over the charging process, resulting in longer battery life and faster charging times.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a Li+ battery charger chip without buck?

One potential drawback is the cost, as these chips can be more expensive compared to traditional buck converter charging solutions. Additionally, they may require more complex circuit design and layout, which can be a challenge for some manufacturers.

5. What should I consider when choosing a Li+ battery charger chip without buck?

There are a few things to consider, such as the maximum charging current and voltage, the input voltage range, and the protection features included. It's also important to ensure that the chip is compatible with the specific type and size of Li+ battery being used in the device.