Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Life on Mars?

1. Jul 3, 2010 #1
    Does anyone remember the Nasa image of the 'segmented worm' found on Mars?
    I had recently seen a documentary on PBS about fractals in which it was stated that all biology is based on fractals and that if one could establish a fractal pattern in something, then it was certainly biological.
    I wrote Nasa several emails asking them whether they had done any such experiments to determine whether or not the 'segmented worm' showed any fractal patterns in it's makeup. I never got any response back.
    So I put the question to you:
    Can fractal geometry be applied to images of extra-terrestrial objects to determine whether they are biological or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

As a definitive test, no.

4. Jul 3, 2010 #3
    Thank you for your answer.
    I wouldn't take it as proof, but couldn't one eliminate that which is definately not biological with this test, thus leaving the door open to further experiments?

5. Jul 4, 2010 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jul 4, 2010 #5
    Thank you for your answer. I do think, in reference to the original premise, that one could easily tell the difference between a crystalline substance and a segmented worm which tapers at both ends. Perhaps my question is the problem.
    Do you think there would be any merit whatsoever in applying this test to images taken extra-terrestrially?
    I promise not to push the question any further after this. :)

7. Jul 4, 2010 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What segmented worm? That is Richard Hoagland nonsense.

8. Jul 4, 2010 #7
    My thoughts precisely.

9. Jul 4, 2010 #8
    Not segmented worm, 'segmented worm'. Whatever image we happened to find, we would not confuse it with that of a 'snowflake'.
    "Do you think there would be any merit whatsoever in applying this test to images taken extra-terrestrially?"

10. Jul 4, 2010 #9
    By 'segmented worm' I presume you are talking about the sand dunes which go by a variety of names like 'glass worms' 'glass tubes' etc.. I'm pretty sure itw as concluded they were sanddunes in some sort of narrow crevice.

Anyways.

For your question, yes studying such things can lead to assuming that such a structure was created by a lifeform but it's far from definitive. There are geological activities that can make fractal structures (AFAIK).

11. Jul 4, 2010 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question has already been answered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook