Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lift and Drag coefficient equation in terms of pressure

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    I have been trying to find lift and drag coefficients in terms of pressure. So far I have found multiple equations. Below is what I have found after multiple research on the web. I am using these equations in LabVIEW. My input is going to be upper and lower surface pressure and I have to find cl and cd from pressure values in LabVIEW. Here are the equations for cd and cl.

lift coefficient= integral [cp,l(x) - cp,u(x)]d(x/c)
    drag coefficient = 0.5*integral[cp*cos(x)]dx

I am not sure if these equations are right or wrong. If they are wrong, can you please provide correct equations? I need these for my MS project. I have been out of school for almost 5 years now and I do not remember all the basics from my BS degree as I have not used my BS knowledge at all in last 5 years.

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    Hint: lift is the closed loop integral of the pressure along the surface of the wing.

I'm quite shocked you're asking such a basic question at the masters level. This is quite literally an undergraduate lab course question.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    Crack open a book on aerodynamics. Wikipedia and the internet are no substitute for real learning.

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook