1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lift equation and pressure coming out of a tube?

1. Jul 12, 2017 #1
    I am making a small project at home for my solar panels. I have made a similar project when I was in school but I can't remember the equations.

I want to attach an air compressor to a tube then install it on top of a solar panel, and pinch a few holes in it to clean the dust that accumulates over time over the solar.

I forgot the equation that I should be using to calculate the pressure drop inside the tube. There was also an equation that would allow me to calculate the maximum holes I can pinch to the tube and to measure the best distance between each hole. I had to make sure the air coming from the last hole would be able to reach to the bottom of the solar. Also, how do I calculate the necessary air velocity to lift the dust particles and what's the equation to get the best tube angle?

And I think I have used the lift equation to to make sure the air coming from the pipe would be able to lift the dust. Even in the last hole on the tube the air velocity should be sufficient to lift the dust

Can someone help me figure out the the equations I should be using to all the things I have mentioned? I do remember getting Reynolds number for the lift equation and that's it.

I think the most important one is the equation for the pressure drop the rest I can figure, but it would be helpful if you can add your insight on all of it.

I have attached a photo of the project when I made it in school so you can understand what I am trying to do.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Oct 5, 2017 #3
    I read this hurriedly, but you may be thinking of the Bernoulli's for fluid dynamics (I don't know which Bernoulli wrote it, sorry). I'm not sure what you mean by "lift" equation. Maybe my response will call more people to help. I'll try and remember to read this agian later and give it some more thought!

Also, be careful with calling Bernoulli's the lift equation. I just sat through a 200 level physics class where the professor was teaching Bernoulli's to describe lift. Simultaneously I was on my tablet reading an article from NASA as to why that is wrong. :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted