Lifter. Does it actually works in vaccum?

• Thread starter atom888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the topic of ion wind in vacuum is still confusing, with some sources claiming it does work and others saying it does not. The experiment by Beifeld and Brown used a symmetrical capacitor and still observed a force, but it is unclear if asymmetry is necessary for the effect. Ion wind has been suggested as a potential explanation, but it is also noted that the vacuum systems used in these experiments may not be optimal, allowing for the creation of ion wind and persisting the effect. Overall, the current understanding of this topic is still uncertain and may require further research.
atom888
I'm sorry if you guys discuss this already but I need some clarification. The more I find out about this topic the more puzzling it becomes. Straighten this out for me. Thx

1) Does it actually works in vaccum? Many say yes and few say no.
2) When Beifeld and Brown did the experiment, they did not use asymetrical capacitor (meaning they use symtrical) and it still experience a force. Is this true?
3) If it not ion wind, what is?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) No. See 3)
2) I think asymmetry improves the effect but isn't necessary. I'm not sure, however.
3) Ion wind

you'll probably get some force in vacuum due to the ionization of copper at the anode, however it won't be much. Also if you notice most of the vacuum systems used in these experiments aren't very good, and as such the effect will still persist as ion wind an still be created.

CPL.Luke said:
you'll probably get some force in vacuum due to the ionization of copper at the anode, however it won't be much. Also if you notice most of the vacuum systems used in these experiments aren't very good, and as such the effect will still persist as ion wind an still be created.

it's a sad result :(

1. How does the Lifter work in a vacuum?

The Lifter, also known as the ionocraft, works by creating thrust through ionization. It uses a high voltage, low current power supply to ionize air molecules around its wire electrodes. The resulting ions are then attracted to the oppositely charged plates, creating an ionic wind that generates thrust and propels the lifter forward.

2. Can the Lifter be used in outer space?

Yes, the Lifter can be used in outer space because it does not require air molecules to create thrust. As long as there is a power supply and electrodes, the Lifter can generate thrust and propel itself forward in a vacuum environment.

3. What is the maximum weight that the Lifter can lift in a vacuum?

The maximum weight that a Lifter can lift in a vacuum depends on the size and power of the lifter. Generally, smaller lifters are able to lift lighter objects while larger lifters are able to lift heavier objects. However, in a vacuum, the weight that a Lifter can lift may be limited due to the lack of air molecules for propulsion.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Lifter in a vacuum?

One limitation of using the Lifter in a vacuum is that it may require a higher voltage to produce the same amount of thrust as it would in an atmosphere with air molecules. Additionally, the Lifter may not be able to generate as much thrust in a vacuum compared to an atmosphere due to the lack of air molecules for ionization.

5. How is the Lifter powered in a vacuum environment?

The Lifter can be powered in a vacuum environment using a battery or other power source. Since it does not rely on air molecules for propulsion, it can still generate thrust and propel itself forward in a vacuum as long as there is a power supply and electrodes present.