Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lifting attachment design factors

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    I'm looking for some advice:
    I am trying to determine the allowable stress in a lifting attachment we have had manufactured. The lifting attachment is a mild steel block that bolts to the component to be lifted with a lug to enable a shackle to be fitted; two of these blocks are then fitted to the component at either end and the component is then lifted by crane.
    When calculating the stresses in the component I have multiplied the load by 1.3 for a dynamic load factor. What I am trying to determine is the allowable stress i.e. FOS required. I have had a scan through BS2573, BS5950, BS449.
    BS2573 seems the simplest to follow and I believe BS5950 is a plastic code where I am interested in elastic. However is BS2573 applicable to lifting attachments as it seems predominantly concerned with cranes?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

leon25034796: I am not familiar with those cited standards, but I seem to recall that, for lifting attachment hardware, you typically use a yield factor of safety of 3.0, and an ultimate factor of safety of 5.0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?