Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light in local reference frames in extreme gravitational fields.

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    As I understand in SR light is always c in it's local reference frame regardless of a present gravitational field. Light would appear to be traveling slightly less than c in a gravitational field otherwise known as the Sharpio Delay in all non-local reference frames. Now, light must be traveling at c in the local reference frames to preserve causality as a consequence of SR. However, since we cannot measure light in any local reference frame is it not possible that it may be traveling less than c due to the gravitational field and s-t diagrams could be re-written to prevent any breaking of causality? If so what could the consequences be?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2
    I guess what I am saying is that perhaps SR, like Newtonian Physics is a great approximation for weak gravitational fields but not for extreme ones.

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Special relativity doesn't apply in the presence of gravitational fields strong enough to noticeably affect the behavior of light. So you shouldn't interpret SR as making predictions regardless of a present gravitational field; it's more in the absence of such a field.

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Our replies appear to have crossed :)

6. Jan 29, 2012 #5
    Well, I am a Physics Undergraduate and I think I might just start playing around with modifying s-t diagrams introducing a gravitational field and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook