Light in the box gravity - question.

In summary, the concept of mass in physics is not always straightforward and can vary depending on the point of view. In the case of a proton, its mass can be attributed to the combination of relativistic motion of its constituent quarks. However, there may be other more consistent descriptions of mass that take into account different perspectives and levels of knowledge.
Dmitry67
I have a massless and perfectly reflecting sphere or a box. Inside I have 0.5kg of matter + 0.5kg of antimatter.

Far away from this sphere I have a small test body. I detects a gravity from mass of 1kg.

Now matter and antimatter annihilate. As nothing happens outside, the test body is still detecting the same gravity. But there is no more 'rest' mass left.

My question is: the gravitation which comes from the sphere or a box - what components affect it and how much:
1 pressure of light
2 tension of the walls of the box (because they resist the pressure)
If 1 and 2 are oppoiste and equal what is left?
3 Stress energy tensor INSIDE the box? (from a light trapped inside?)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
1 pressure of light
The energy of the photons, which is the same as the energy of the matter before annihilation.

Dmitry67 said:
My question is: the gravitation which comes from the sphere or a box - what components affect it and how much:
1 pressure of light
3 Stress energy tensor INSIDE the box? (from a light trapped inside?)

Thank you

1 & 2 aren't opposite. Gravitation comes from the stress energy tensor of radiation plus the stress energy tensor of the box. Stress energy tensor of radiation is [tex]diag(\rho,p,p,p)[/tex] where [tex] p= \rho / 3[/tex]. But spatial components don't really have any effect on the static Schwarzschild metric. So the test body should not be able to notice the annihilation.

Thank you.
Another question: if light beam passes by, does it create a frame dragging effect?

Dmitry67 said:
Thank you.
Another question: if light beam passes by, does it create a frame dragging effect?

I don't see a rotating object here ...

whats about a system of 4 (or more) ideally reflecting mirrors?
So light goes in circles?

I think I have to mildly disagree with some of the responses here. The answer is that all of the effects listed contribute to the gravitational field outside the box.

Just to be clear, I assume we are assuming a static system (and not trying to model any transient effects of the explosion such as emitted gravity waves which are assumed to be negligible), and measuring the gravitational field with an accelerometer, which is stationary with respect to the box. The notion of "stationary" is defined because the system is static.

However, you'll see no change in the gravity outside the box when the anti-matter is combined with the matter, which is what the original poster asked.

But - if you place a gravity probe just inside the surface of the box, you _will_ see a change in gravity. It will increase. ((I assume a spherical box for simplicity)). It'll have to be pretty tough probe not to melt, of course :-).

Assuming that the box is under tension but has no mass is equivalent to assuming it is made out of exotic matter. Normal matter wouldn't be able to decrease the gravitational field in the matter that this "thought experiment" indicates (the field must decrease going from inside to outside the box). The assumption that the box has no mass but is under tension is only possible for exotic matter, however, not normal matter.

Dmitry67 said:
I have a massless and perfectly reflecting sphere or a box. Inside I have 0.5kg of matter + 0.5kg of antimatter.

Far away from this sphere I have a small test body. I detects a gravity from mass of 1kg.

Now matter and antimatter annihilate. As nothing happens outside, the test body is still detecting the same gravity. But there is no more 'rest' mass left.
If you mean proper = invariant mass, why there is 'no more'? I would say mass is exactly the same as before: mass is a system's energy divided by c2 if the system is stationary, as in this case.

no, I meant 'invariant mass'.
I understand that relativistic mass is conserved.

To expand on what lightarrow said, the invariant mass of a system of particles is not necessarily equal to the sum of the invariant masses of each particle -- it can be higher.

In the system's "rest frame" -- i.e. the frame in which the sum of the particle momenta is zero, the "centre of momentum frame" -- the invariant mass is the sum of the particle energies divided by c2.

Assuming no energy escapes, the invariant mass of the box remains 1 kg throughout.

Just a quick note - calculating the invariant mass of the box doesn't necessarily tell us much about the gravitational field.

The concept of mass that's most applicable to this problem is the GR notion of Komar mass - it's the concept of mass associated with the time translation symmetry of the system.

If we have a static system (or more generally, a stationary system), as we do in this case when we ignore any transients associated with the explosion, the product of the force-at-infinity times the area of the enclosing sphere (or, more generally, the normal component of the force-at-infinity times the area of any enclosing body) is a constant which is proportional to the Komar mass.

See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Komar_mass&oldid=284528862, or, preferably, the discussion in Wald that's referenced by the wiki link (though the Wald discussion is rather technical).

Another question. Proton is much heavier then u and d quarks, and most of the mass comes from the relativistic motion of quarks.

So, if we look at proton at whole we get an invariant mass, if we look at quarks, we see small relativistic mass bug big relativistic one.

Hm... what is a right question... while technically the description above works, but are there more... consistent description of mass? The value we use for mass depends on the point of view... of our knowledge of the system.

1. What is light in the box gravity?

Light in the box gravity refers to the concept of using light as a tool to manipulate and control the movement of objects. This is achieved by using laser beams to create areas of high and low pressure, which can then be used to move or suspend objects.

2. How does light in the box gravity work?

The process of light in the box gravity involves using lasers to create small pockets of air that are heated or cooled, causing changes in air pressure. These changes in pressure can then be used to move or suspend objects, similar to how a magician uses sleight of hand to make objects appear to levitate.

3. What are the potential applications of light in the box gravity?

Light in the box gravity has the potential to be used in a wide range of applications, including in manufacturing, transportation, and even in space exploration. It could be used to move and manipulate objects with precision, making it useful in tasks such as assembly and packaging. It could also be used to create frictionless transportation systems or to manipulate objects in space without the need for physical contact.

4. How is light in the box gravity different from traditional forms of gravity?

Traditional gravity is a force that exists between any two objects with mass, causing them to be attracted to each other. Light in the box gravity, on the other hand, is a man-made technology that uses lasers to manipulate the movement of objects. While traditional gravity is a natural phenomenon, light in the box gravity is a controlled and artificial force.

5. What are the potential benefits of using light in the box gravity?

Using light in the box gravity could lead to a range of benefits, including increased efficiency in manufacturing processes, reduced friction in transportation systems, and the ability to manipulate objects in space without the need for physical contact. It could also have applications in fields such as medicine and electronics, where precise manipulation of objects is important.