Light Isn't Constant in Certain Media?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light traveling at a constant speed, but at different speeds in different media. This is due to the fact that in media such as water and air, light is not only traveling but also being absorbed and reemitted by atoms, leading to a slower speed. The medium through which light travels is any substance that it can pass through, including vacuum, water, and air. This topic has been previously discussed and more information can be found by using the search function and reading the FAQ.
Liger20
Hello, I was recently browsing through on of my physics books, and I came upon the following statement:

"Newton was right, light does travel at a constant speed, but it does not travel at the same speed in all media. For example, light travels at a speed in water that is about three fourths the speed of light in a vacuum. The speed of light in air is slightly less than the speed in a vacuum."

I found this statement disturbing, because I've always been taught that light always travels at a constant speed. It not that I don't believe that it travels slower in water than in a vacuum, but my question is why does light behave like this?

Also, what is the medium through which light travels, if any?

Science news on Phys.org
Liger20 said:
but my question is why does light behave like this?
In vacuum light just travel and its speed is maximum possible.

In water, glass or air light not only travels, but also being absorbed and reemitted by media atoms. This process takes some time. So, it has less time to travel. The result is slower traveling in media other than vacuum.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is meant by "light isn't constant in certain media"?

When light travels through different materials, such as air, water, or glass, its speed and direction can be affected. This means that the speed of light is not constant in these media, leading to changes in the behavior of light.

2. Why does light behave differently in different media?

Light is an electromagnetic wave, and its behavior is determined by the properties of the medium it is traveling through. In different materials, the speed of light can change due to factors such as density, temperature, and the presence of other particles.

3. How does the speed of light change in different media?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second. In other media, the speed can be slower or faster depending on the properties of the material. For example, light travels slower in water than in air, and even slower in glass.

4. Does light always slow down in different media?

No, the speed of light can also increase in certain media. This is known as "superluminal" or faster-than-light travel. However, this is a complex phenomenon and is usually only observed in very specific conditions, such as in specialized materials or in a vacuum.

5. How does the change in light speed affect our perception of objects?

When light passes through different media, it can bend or refract, causing objects to appear distorted or even invisible. This is why objects underwater appear closer and larger than they actually are. Our perception of color can also be affected by the change in light speed, leading to phenomena such as the rainbow effect in a prism.