Light ray passing thru plastic block

In summary: The angle θ2 in the equation sin(θcrit) = n2/n1 is not the same as the angle θ2 in Snell's law. In Snell's law, θ2 is the angle of refraction, while in the equation for total internal reflection, θ2 is the critical angle at which total internal reflection occurs. You need to use the correct angle in each equation to get the correct value for n2.
herbally

Homework Statement

A light ray passes downward into a block of transparent plastic with an angle of incidence of θ1 = 77.7°.

If total internal reflection is to occur when the light strikes the left edge of the block at interface B, what is the index of refraction of the plastic?

Homework Equations

Snell's Law - n1sin(θ1)=n2sin(θ2)

sin(θcrit)=n2/n1

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I could use the law of refraction at interface A and the equation for the critical value at interface B (since total internal refraction occurs there), and use those two equations to solve for n2. I've done all manners of substitutions, but nothing that yields a reasonable answer.

I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• ch33.23.jpg
    ch33.23.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
Your outline of how to approach the problem sounds good. Can you show your work so we can see what you've done?

I solved Snell's law for sin(θ2) which yielded n1sin(θ1)/n2.

I set that equal to n2/n1. Then I solved for n2 which gave me n2=+-n1√sin(θ1).

When I solve I get some value like .98755 which is less than one making it obviously incorrect.

I think you're using the same symbol θ2 for two different angles.

I would first confirm the given information and make sure it is clear and accurate. Is the angle of incidence given in degrees or radians? Is the block of plastic truly transparent, or is it partially opaque? These details can affect the calculations and results.

Assuming that the angle of incidence is given in degrees and the block of plastic is fully transparent, I would proceed with solving for the index of refraction using Snell's Law and the equation for the critical angle. It is important to note that the angle of incidence at interface A is equal to the angle of refraction at interface B, since the light ray is passing through the block without changing direction. This means that θ1 = θ2.

Using Snell's Law, we can rewrite it as n1sin(θ1) = n2sin(θ1) and solve for n2. This yields n2 = n1/sin(θ1). Since we want to find the index of refraction of the plastic, we can substitute the given angle of incidence (θ1 = 77.7°) and the known index of refraction of air (n1 = 1) to get n2 = 1/sin(77.7°). This gives us an index of refraction of approximately 1.22 for the plastic block.

To verify this result, we can also use the equation for the critical angle, sin(θcrit) = n2/n1, and solve for n2. Plugging in the known values, we get n2 = sin(θcrit) = sin(77.7°) = 0.975. This is close to our previous result, confirming that the index of refraction of the plastic is indeed around 1.22.

In summary, as a scientist, I would first confirm the given information and then use the appropriate equations to solve for the index of refraction of the plastic block. It is important to double check the calculations and make sure they are reasonable and consistent with the given information.

1. How does light pass through a plastic block?

Light passes through a plastic block due to its transparent nature. This means that the plastic material allows light to pass through it without being absorbed or reflected.

2. What determines the path of a light ray passing through a plastic block?

The path of a light ray passing through a plastic block is determined by the refractive index of the plastic material. This is a measure of how much the light is bent or refracted as it passes through the plastic.

3. Can the color of the light affect its path through a plastic block?

Yes, the color of the light can affect its path through a plastic block. This is because different colors of light have different wavelengths, which can be refracted differently by the plastic material.

4. How does the thickness of the plastic block affect the path of the light ray?

The thickness of the plastic block can affect the path of the light ray by increasing the distance that the light travels through the material. This can cause more refraction and may change the angle at which the light exits the block.

5. Can light pass through all types of plastic?

No, not all types of plastic are transparent and allow light to pass through them. Some plastics, such as opaque or colored plastics, can absorb or reflect light, preventing it from passing through.