1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light reflection without a surface

1. Dec 28, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,
    this is my first post so bare with me...
    I was searching the internet for light reflection and all other properties of light.Since we all know light requires a surface to reflect so that we see the objects.
    Can we reflect the light in space without requiring a surface?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Reflection MEANS bouncing off of a surface, so no, you can't reflect without a surface.

Do you mean, perhaps, could we in some way turn light around without it touching anything? If so, I don't think so.

4. Dec 28, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Light can be scattered in gases (or other materials), but that is not a real reflection.

If you send light towards a black hole in the right direction, it can turn around the black hole and come back to you, which is a bit like a reflection.

5. Dec 28, 2012 #4
    We can BEND light (for ex.bending of light due to stars or black holes) but can not REFLECT it without a surface.

6. Dec 28, 2012 #5
    Well till now I got the same answer.I agree that it's impossible to turn the light around.
    But come on guys!!
    It's not about turing light without any surface,It's about "can I project the display into space not into the walls?"
    So this is my actual query.
    When I project an image why I always need a surface?

7. Dec 28, 2012 #6
    Light will continue in the same direction until something interferes with its path. Hence the sad impossibility of a light saber

8. Dec 28, 2012 #7

mfb

2016 Award

You need something which reflects or bends light, right.
    With sufficient intensity, you might be able to use air, but you cannot use space itself (=vacuum).

9. Dec 28, 2012 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your apparent belief that the statement above is somehow NOT about reflection just shows a lack of understanding of physics.

10. Dec 29, 2012 #9
    @phinds i used your words.anyways i agree i suffer lack of knowledge in physics.
    Do anyone know about tupac shakur' holographic peformance.how they did it?
    I mean how they managed to project it?
    There are many other videos as well

11. Dec 29, 2012 #10

mfb

2016 Award

According to this article, it was a simple 2D projection on a sheet of mylar.

12. Dec 29, 2012 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, don't look to videos or movies for breakthroughs in science! I am reminded of when, after a James Bond movie, in which Bond to put a little device to his lips in order to swim under water, a Royal Navy officer contacted the studio asking how long a person could stay underwater with that device.

The response: about as long as he can hold his breath!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook