Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Transport in Cold Atoms? Why is this important?

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    I am really not all that intelligent and fairly new to the whole mathematical equation solving thing. So please bare with me, I came to the conclusion instead of reading the daily paper I will read daily articles, as I am reading I am unfamiliar of course with the symbols being undefined in the article but I can make sense of what they are doing, to a fault I can picture the light being passed through the particle of the alkaline metal and passing through it as I took from the diagram reflecting off of it as well.

I am just kind of curious why the coherent transport of light inside a cold atomic vapor is being performed.

Just sparking my interest in the interesting world of physics,

my apologies if this is an incoherent run on or something I tend to do that alot

pbody.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you didn't supply the diagram you refer to, it is very difficult to respond.

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    Oh yeah sorry I meant to it just kind of slept my mind at the last second sorry

http://www.citebase.org/abstract?id=oai:arXiv.org:quant-ph/0603153 [Broken]

I chose to look at the PDF version

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Apr 21, 2012 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry - the article is over my head.

6. Apr 21, 2012 #5
    Darn it!! oh well. time to move forth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook