Analyzing Brightness in Series Lightbulb Circuits

In summary, the two bulbs in series will "share" the volts in the ratio R1/(R1+R2) : R2/(R1+R2). The 50W bulb will have higher volts across it, so it will be brighter.
SFphysics101
Hi
Two lightbulbs in series, one with 50W one with 100W which is brighter. I have two different solutions and can't see my error. Using PR=V^2 and I^2=P/V 50/√50R1=100/√100R2 with the same current and R2=2R1. Using PR=V^2 and the same voltage across both bulbs yields 50R1=100R2 or R1=2R2. Which is the appropriate solution when the bulbs are in series? Why are they different?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome. This looks like homework and should probably be posted elsewhere.
But it could be a more practical question and so:
With any circuit question you cannot assume anything that you haven't already been given or that you haven't yet calculated. The order of doing things has to be right.
Two resistors in series will 'share' the volts in the ratio R1/(R1+R2) : R2/(R1+R2). Potential Divider Equation - look it up.You can see that the 50W bulb has higher volts across it so it will be brighter. By how much, is a harder question. They will definitely not have the same volts across them (that daft result is arrived at by making invalid assumptions!).
You need to remember that tungsten filaments change their resistance by a factor of around 1:10 as they heat up. That makes it very hard to predict reliably what will happen.
If you assume that their resistances don't change (i.e that they don't actually glow), you can work out their resistances from the operating voltage and specified powers.
For real filaments, the 100W bulb will start off with 1/3 of the volts across it but, as they both heat up, the 50W bulb, with 2/3 volts will get hotter and its resistance will go proportionally higher than the 100W (lower resistance) bulb so it will hog more than its fair share of the volts. The 50V bulb will be a bit dimmer than normal but brighter than it would with 2/3 of the supply volts.

When I said same voltage I meant a nominal voltage applied to each bulb individually to find the resistance. Other solutions use 120V as this nominal voltage and R=V^2/P. This finds the resistance at the voltage and power ratings of the bulb. Using this method gives a higher resistance for the 50W bulb. I cannot actually see through a voltage divider that the 50W bulb has higher resistance, but the resistance should not change with the voltage. I do know the voltage across each bulb will differ and the current will be the same through both bulbs, hence my second solution above which does not confirm the first. BTW I am out of school, or I'd ask a professor.

Last edited:
Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread will remain closed. OP has been reminded of the PF schoolwork rules, and will repost in the Homework Help forums.

What is the purpose of connecting lightbulbs in series?

Connecting lightbulbs in series allows for the bulbs to share the same electrical current. This means that the bulbs will have equal brightness and will all turn on and off together.

Can I connect lightbulbs with different wattage in series?

No, it is not recommended to connect lightbulbs with different wattage in series. This can cause the bulbs to have unequal brightness and may lead to overheating and potential damage.

How does connecting lightbulbs in series affect the total voltage?

Connecting lightbulbs in series will increase the total voltage across all the bulbs. The voltage will be divided equally among the bulbs in the series, so the more bulbs you add, the higher the total voltage will be.

Is it safe to connect an unlimited number of lightbulbs in series?

No, it is not safe to connect an unlimited number of lightbulbs in series. The more bulbs you add, the higher the total voltage will be, which can become a fire hazard. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's specifications for the maximum number of bulbs that can be connected in series.

What happens if one lightbulb in the series burns out?

If one lightbulb in the series burns out, the entire circuit will be broken and all the bulbs will turn off. This is because the current can no longer flow through the circuit. To turn the remaining bulbs back on, the burnt-out bulb will need to be replaced.