1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightest Strongest magnet I can buy

1. May 14, 2015 #1
    Hi All,
    I am wanting to buy the lightest, strongest magnet I can. Can someone please direct me or give me guidance on this issue? I am requiring a magnetic field of >5000 surface gauss. Any links or direction would be terrific,

Thanks in advance,
    Dale.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

Why not make a magnetic field by inducing a charge on some coils of wire, or would that be to heavy for what you want it for?

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  4. May 15, 2015 #3
    Hi Raul,
    Thanks for your quick response. I require a permanent magnet. Yes the electromagnet would be far to heavy unfortunately. If I could get something like magnet paper with a strong magnetic field. This would be a very good solution.

Regards,
    Dale.

5. May 15, 2015 #4

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

Seems lie your best bet would be a neodymium magnet, but the ratings of you desire/what you get, would depend on the geometry of the magnet.

These might be your best bet, check what dimensions they have.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=11

6. May 15, 2015 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Temperature range might matter.

7. May 15, 2015 #6

OCR

8. May 31, 2015 #7
    Hi Dale. Yes, I think one neodymium magnets can fit your need as of permanent magnets. However, you need to specify your exact working conditions as there will be limitation on working conditions of the magnets, especially for working temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook