Lightest Strongest magnet I can buy

In summary, Dale is looking for a light and strong magnet with a magnetic field of >5000 surface gauss. Raul suggests using an electromagnet, but Dale needs a permanent magnet. Raul recommends neodymium magnets and suggests checking the dimensions and working conditions, such as temperature range. Dale also considers using a magnet from an old HDD.
Left
Hi All,
I am wanting to buy the lightest, strongest magnet I can. Can someone please direct me or give me guidance on this issue? I am requiring a magnetic field of >5000 surface gauss. Any links or direction would be terrific,

Thanks in advance,
Dale.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not make a magnetic field by inducing a charge on some coils of wire, or would that be to heavy for what you want it for?

Last edited:
Hi Raul,
Thanks for your quick response. I require a permanent magnet. Yes the electromagnet would be far to heavy unfortunately. If I could get something like magnet paper with a strong magnetic field. This would be a very good solution.

Regards,
Dale.

Seems lie your best bet would be a neodymium magnet, but the ratings of you desire/what you get, would depend on the geometry of the magnet.

These might be your best bet, check what dimensions they have.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=11

Temperature range might matter.

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
Hi Dale. Yes, I think one neodymium magnets can fit your need as of permanent magnets. However, you need to specify your exact working conditions as there will be limitation on working conditions of the magnets, especially for working temperature.

What is the lightest strongest magnet available?

The lightest strongest magnet currently available is the neodymium magnet, also known as NdFeB magnet. It is made of neodymium, iron, and boron, and has the highest magnetic strength of all permanent magnets.

What is the maximum strength of a neodymium magnet?

The maximum strength of a neodymium magnet is usually measured in units of Tesla (T). The strongest neodymium magnet currently available has a maximum strength of 52.4 T.

What makes neodymium magnets so strong?

Neodymium magnets are made of a combination of neodymium, iron, and boron. This combination creates a strong magnetic field due to the alignment of the atoms within the material. Additionally, the small size of the atoms in neodymium also contributes to its strength.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when handling neodymium magnets?

Yes, neodymium magnets are extremely strong and can be dangerous if not handled properly. They can pinch or crush fingers, and can also cause damage to electronic devices. It is important to handle them carefully and keep them away from children and electronic devices.

What are some common uses for neodymium magnets?

Neodymium magnets have a wide range of applications, including use in loudspeakers, generators, electric motors, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and magnetic storage devices such as hard drives. They are also commonly used in magnetic therapy and in everyday items such as magnetic jewelry clasps and refrigerator magnets.