Lightning rod/cable to protect tent

• Thread starter dj1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary: You might be able to use placebo wire to reassure your friend. Connect it from the metal tent pole to the ground away from the tent.Even if the poles would be able to arrest a lightning, step voltage would almost certainly fry you unless you put some wires/rods below the tent tooEven if the poles would be able to arrest a lightning, step voltage would almost certainly fry you unless you put some wires/rods below the tent tooJust make sure the wires/rods are short enough that they are not touching anything else and grounded.
dj1990
Hi all,

I'm due to go camping with someone who is very scared of getting fried by a lightning bolt.

The poles on our tent are heavy(ish) metal ones, presumably steel, and I'm guessing would not be thick enough to make it a Faraday cage?

I had the idea of running a cable from a rod at the top point, running it down one of the poles and attaching it to another rod that sticks in the ground.

First of all, is this a good idea? Secondly, is anyone able to estimate what kind of thickness copper cable would be required?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Will you be near a car or are you back country camping.?

Welcome to PF.

dj1990 said:
I'm due to go camping with someone who is very scared of getting fried by a lightning bolt.
Can you give us some idea of what kind of countryside you will be camping in? Camping in the exposed plains is different from camping in the forest or the canyons, when it comes to dealing with potential lightning issues. Thanks.

UPDATE -- https://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/07/02/lightning-in-the-wilderness-how-to-minimize-the-danger

Likes hutchphd
Ugh. Lightning and lightning protection are some of the least predictable controversial subjects.I like this advice from the article @berkeman linked.
  • Avoid open fields, the top of a hill or a ridge top.
  • Stay away from tall, isolated trees or other tall objects. If you are in a forest, stay near a lower stand of trees.
  • If you are camping in an open area, set up camp in a valley, ravine or other low area.
  • Stay away from water, wet items (such as ropes) and metal objects (such as fences and poles). Water and metal are excellent conductors of electricity. The current from a lightning flash will easily travel for long distances.
Those things are more reliable than homemade lightning rods.

But the sad news is that all your remedies are unlikely to quell the fears of your friend.

And if maybe you will be playing volleyball in camp with several of your friends and you notice that there are thunderstorms approaching in the distance, it is best to call off the game early, and not wait. Please do not ask me how I know this...

Looking up to bump the volleyball for my spiker, and the lightning hit something so close that there was no delay between the light flash and the super loud boom. The lightning strike probably hit our vball standards. Duck for cover and run!

Likes dlgoff and hutchphd
dj1990 said:
Your friend's fear is real, but almost certainly misplaced. There are many more significant dangers associated with camping, travelling, or staying at home.

A metal tent pole is safer than an insulated pole. Just don't hold onto the pole while there is a local thunderstorm.

Where you pitch your tent will be more important than grounding the pole or the occupants. Pitch the tent one tree-height away from trees that could fall. Those trees will attract the lightning and protect your tent. Avoid pitching the tent on a ridgeline, or where it could be exposed to a lot of wind.

Likes russ_watters
dj1990 said:
The poles on our tent are heavy(ish) metal ones, presumably steel, and I'm guessing would not be thick enough to make it a Faraday cage?
You might be able to use placebo wire to reassure your friend. Connect it from the metal tent pole to the ground away from the tent.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes CalcNerd, berkeman, anorlunda and 1 other person
dj1990 said:
Even if the poles would be able to arrest a lightning, step voltage would almost certainly fry you unless you put some wires/rods below the tent too

If that fear is so intensive, then do van camping. That'll protect against falling trees too.

Algr said:
You might be able to use placebo wire to reassure your friend. Connect it from the metal tent pole to the ground away from the tent.
This would be more effective if bought from a store. Is there a fortune to be made here?
Actually we get a few storms per season here in Indiana where it would be unfortunate to be outside unprotected

Rive said:
If that fear is so intensive, then do van camping.

Kind of like this? :wink:

1662756839579.png

https://arbusa.com/tents-awnings-camping/rooftop-tents/simpson-iii-rooftop-tent/

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
For a small building, the idea, from a old British Standard is to have raised metal poles with a ridge wire. Then we take conductors sloping down to the ground. The outside of the tent is surrounded by a peripheral bare wire on the ground which is intended to create equi-potential conditions. One of the problems with lightning protection is that ground currents will kill. That is why cows are killed near a ground strike. It is very difficult to obtain a low ground electrode resistance with a temporary structure like this. The conductors are 50mm2 copper.
In my opinion, it would be a bad experience to be a few feet from a lightning strike due to the light, shock wave and noise. I don't think lightning protection of a tent is very practical. I have a similar problem in a small boat, but at least I can obtain a good ground connection.

Rive said:
If that fear is so intensive, then do van camping. That'll protect against falling trees too.
Not from the sizes of trees and branches where I camp. They could squash a van pretty flat.

Edit: I just remembered a camping trip from 2017. The national parks permanently closed all camp sites located under cottonwood trees. They could be made safe by cutting the trees down, but then they would have no shade.

1. How does a lightning rod/cable protect a tent?

A lightning rod/cable protects a tent by providing a safe path for lightning to travel to the ground. When lightning strikes, it will be attracted to the metal rod or cable and travel down it to the ground, instead of passing through the tent and potentially causing damage or harm.

2. Do I need a lightning rod/cable for my tent?

It is recommended to have a lightning rod or cable for your tent if you are camping in an area with frequent lightning strikes. This will help to reduce the risk of damage or injury from a lightning strike.

3. How do I install a lightning rod/cable for my tent?

The lightning rod or cable should be installed at least 6 feet away from the tent and should be securely anchored to the ground. It is also important to ensure that the rod or cable is taller than the tent to attract the lightning away from the tent.

4. Can I use any type of metal for a lightning rod/cable?

No, it is important to use a metal that is a good conductor of electricity, such as copper or aluminum. These metals are better at attracting lightning and providing a safe path for it to travel.

5. How often should I replace my lightning rod/cable?

It is recommended to inspect and replace your lightning rod or cable every 5-10 years, as wear and tear can affect its effectiveness. If you notice any damage or corrosion, it is important to replace it immediately.