Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightning/Sparks physics equation

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    Hi there,
    I'm programming a lightning simulation project and I need some equations about sparks physics in order to know when a lightning splits, calculate it's energy and etc.
    And I also have a question: Is it posible that a lightning from one point to another will find two same roots and will split at point one and then merge at point two?
    Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2

Dotini

Gold Member

Look at "The Lightning Discharge", by Martin Uman, Dover, 2001.

Respectfully,
    Steve

4. Jul 16, 2012 #3
    Thank you for the comment Steve.
    I've searched the book but I couldn't find a free version of it, and I don't want to buy it because I don't know if it will help me.
    I thought about the lightning and conjectured that a lightning splits to every comfortable route when it comes out from the lightning until one or more route get to the ground.
    I conjectured that in that moment every split of the lightning continutes to the ground if it takes less energy than returning to the main split which arrived the ground. Is it true?
    P.S: Sorry if my english was bad

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

agadish, I agree with Steve: Anyone and everyone who is interested in learning about lightning should own a copy of Uman's latest book, and study it, also.

You can buy it online at Amazon.com:

"The Lightning Discharge" (Dover Books on Physics) by Martin A. Uman and Physics (Jan 24, 2001)

US $14.83

The little book carries a wealth of informative facts and does answer most of what you asked about here. If you do not find exactly the answer in Uman's book, then probably the references given in the book will help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook