Light's direction of travel, bending, and speed

In summary, the direction of light travel is said to be tangent to the path when it is curved by either gravity or within an accelerating frame. However, if the displacement curvature does not act on the light, then what prevents or distinguishes that the orientation direction of travel at that moment is radial to the gravitational source (or normal to the plane of acceleration)?
bahamagreen
Light's "direction" of travel, bending, and speed

Hoping someone can clear up a few questions...

At any particular instant in time (from anyone's perspective), is light (or a photon, if that helps) thought to have a specific direction of travel while between emission and absorption? I've read many thought experiments where this is implied, but also read that apart from the source and target nothing may be said about the nature of any path(s)...

If yes to the above; is this direction of travel at c the "tangent" to the path when it is curved by either gravity or within an accelerating frame, or does c also include the lateral (radial) component comprising the curvature?

If no to the first question; what prevents or distinguishes that the displacement curvature does not act on the light if its orientation direction of travel at that moment is radial to the gravitational source (or normal to the plane of acceleration)?

If these questions are not clear or not well formed I'll try to answer any thoughts. Basically I'm trying to understand what it means if only light's lateral component is subject to curvature (and it's longitudinal component is not because that would be slowing below c?), and the relation between the two components to ensure observed c during curvature.

Physics news on Phys.org

bahamagreen said:
Hoping someone can clear up a few questions...

At any particular instant in time (from anyone's perspective), is light (or a photon, if that helps) thought to have a specific direction of travel while between emission and absorption? I've read many thought experiments where this is implied, but also read that apart from the source and target nothing may be said about the nature of any path(s)...

I presume you're asking for something in the GR context where light travels along null geodesics which are completely specified by the metric. There is a solution of the EFE that contains only radiation ( the plane symmetric radiation spacetime ) and that has a definate direction. In Brinkmann coordinates the Einstein tensor has only the G00 = μ component where μ is the energy density. Transformed to the usual flat-space t,x,y,z, the Einstein tensor takes the form of the tensor product of a null propagation vector kβ, viz. Gβα = σkβkα.

This is by no means the full story,because in the common cosmological models the optics is fairly complicated with the curvature causing changes in subtended angles and so on. Maybe someone else can expand on that.

It's also worth mentioning that one Prof. Moeller in his 1950's book showed that optics in GR can be handled by ascribing to spacetime a refractive index which depends on the curvature and treating it somewhat as a material.

Last edited:

That's over my head... I can't even tell which way you answered, or if you did!?

I was thinking more about bending of star light passing the Sun...

For example, does the tangential speed of the curved light maintain c or does that component slow a little, but then the radial component of the curvature make up for it, so when the "net direction" of travel is composed of both components the observation is c?

1. How does light travel and what is its direction?

Light travels in a straight line and it travels in all directions from its source. However, when it encounters a medium with a different density, it may change direction.

2. What causes light to bend?

Light bends when it travels through a medium with a different density. This is due to the change in speed of light as it enters the medium, causing it to change direction.

3. Does light always travel at the same speed?

In a vacuum, light travels at a constant speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. However, when it travels through a medium, its speed may change, leading to a change in direction.

4. Can light travel in a curved path?

Yes, light can travel in a curved path. This can occur when light travels through a medium with a varying density or when it is affected by gravitational forces.

5. Is the speed of light affected by the color of the light?

No, the speed of light is not affected by the color of the light. However, different colors of light may have different wavelengths, which can affect how the light behaves when it travels through a medium.