Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightspeed Star Wars mystery

1. Apr 17, 2016 #1
    I am a big Star Wars fan and I was just wondering what would happen if two Star Destroyers collided during lightspeed? could it be possible to go so fast you could go through something with out destroying it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2016 #2
    In VII they went through a force field because they were traveling FTL. As matter can't travel FTL they were probably in a different state.

That's as far as I can stretch movie reality.

4. Apr 17, 2016 #3
    so they would go straight through each other? with out being damaged?

5. Apr 17, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You mean in hyperspace? This is something made up, so the rules are whatever the person that made the hyperspace up thinks they are.

In other words: no, we don't know what happens when the physics laws are broken.

6. Apr 17, 2016 #5
    Depends on what that other state of matter would be. They could merge and then divide with half of each ship bonded to half of the other producing two new ships, with likely unfortunate results for any humans on board.

But you can avoid the collision by just deeming that each ship has its own, slightly different, state and thus is in its own private hyperspace. If you wanted to throw missiles in you'd need to give them devices that seek and match the hyperspace of the target ship. If you do that please name the inventor "Bergenholm." TIA

7. Apr 17, 2016 #6
    SciFi is largely made up, so you can get away with anything if you're good enough writer.

Sadly, lots of people think they're good enough.

8. Apr 17, 2016 #7
    There is definite concern (in universe) with colliding with a star or planet. Star destroyers are a lot less massive than either of those. In the movies ships regularly jump to hyperspace in formation, so I think the risk of collision between ships must be very small or nonexistent.

Here's another perspective: While traveling through hyperspace the people on the ship walk around and talk just like they do in real space. So if I had to guess, I'd say that a collision in hyperspace would look a lot like a collision in real space. They might not even be going very fast, relative to each other.

Here is a discussion on another board about a similar topic: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...eed-to-be-made-before-jumping-into-hyperspace

As per Borek, real world physics can't answer this sort of question. It's still fun to think about, though.

9. Apr 17, 2016 #8

Borek

You can speculate till you are blue, but then someone else will come and speculate exactly the opposite - and there is no way to say which one of you is "right".

Sure, it can be a lot of fun, but it is counting angels on a pinhead.

10. Apr 17, 2016 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll need to ask the script writer about that one!

11. Apr 17, 2016 #10
    what would happen to the people? do you think they would merge?

12. Apr 17, 2016 #11
    that would be messy and gross

13. Apr 17, 2016 #12

Borek

They will grow long, blue tentacles.

14. Apr 17, 2016 #13
    that sounds more random than acurate. but OK

15. Apr 17, 2016 #14
    What ever you decide to do with the idea, just make sure it's reasonable. We know that it's fiction, but we don't need to have our noses rub in it. Help the reader believe what you are saying MIGHT happen some day.

16. Apr 17, 2016 #15
    I could go many ways about this, but i'm not wich to choose

17. Apr 17, 2016 #16
    That's where you earn your money as a writer. Do different scenarios and see which one sounds the best.

18. Apr 17, 2016 #17
    I'll call it, Collision: The Fan Fiction

19. Apr 17, 2016 #18
    HyperCollision: The Fan Fiction.

20. Apr 17, 2016 #19
    Even BETTER! Thanks!

21. Apr 17, 2016 #20
    No prob. I've been reading sci fi since 1962. The only thing that stops me from writing is that I would suck at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted