1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Like a claw fossil or something.

1. Ok, I was wondering if anyone new what this was. My husband, found it a long time ago by his parents house when he was a kid. He always believed it to be some kind of fossil. Like a claw or something.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
    Earth sciences news on Phys.org
  3. Re: Fossil

It looks like a cobble. Flat and smooth due to running water. Do you know the lithology?

4. Re: Fossil

i found it in a swamp about 19 20 years ago.
    Park Forest, Illinois used to be nothing but swamp land.
    its not cobble though.
    also it weighs around 3 pounds

5. Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Fossil

The 3rd picture doesn't look like the first 2, are these two different rocks?

6. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Prehistoric Pet Rock?

7. Re: Fossil

Or possibly some kind of hammerstone used by someone. IMO, it doesn't look like any kind of fossil I've ever seen.

8. Re: Fossil

I believe on the third photo, we are seeing it on edge. To me, it does not resemble a claw. Even in a fossil state claws still look very much like claws.
    Most of IL. was a shallow Cyprus swamp, and did have Mastodon and other animals. It could be a bone fragment. In the first photo, the dark area on the bottom left, may be the spongy area inside a bone. A extreme close up of that area would be more telling.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  9. Re: Fossil

It's a precambrian fossilized potato, judging from the first two pictures.

Pic #3 - who knows?

10. Re: Fossil

all the pictures are of the same rock, potato LOL!!!

can i take it to the field museum, does anybody think they would be able to tell me???

11. matthyaouw

matthyaouw 1,216
    Gold Member

Having someone identify it in person will be much easier than over the net. I can't see anything in the pictures that screams 'interesting fossil' though

12. Re: Fossil

The surface of Illinois is basically ground up soil from the ice age.
    Not a good place to find many fossils. A smooth rock found near the surface was probably polished by water over many years.

If this were encased within a sedimentary rock or strata, then it might be something, but it looks like a piece of quartz or marble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?