Like a claw fossil or something.

• Thread starter garyankrom
  • Start date
In summary, this is a small, smooth, potato-like rock that was likely found near the surface and is not likely to be a fossil.
garyankrom
Ok, I was wondering if anyone new what this was. My husband, found it a long time ago by his parents house when he was a kid. He always believed it to be some kind of fossil. Like a claw or something.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 496
Earth sciences news on Phys.org

It looks like a cobble. Flat and smooth due to running water. Do you know the lithology?

i found it in a swamp about 19 20 years ago.
Park Forest, Illinois used to be nothing but swamp land.
its not cobble though.
also it weighs around 3 pounds

garyankrom said:
i found it in a swamp about 19 20 years ago.
Park Forest, Illinois used to be nothing but swamp land.
its not cobble though.
also it weighs around 3 pounds
The 3rd picture doesn't look like the first 2, are these two different rocks?

Evo said:
Prehistoric Pet Rock?

Or possibly some kind of hammerstone used by someone. IMO, it doesn't look like any kind of fossil I've ever seen.

Evo said:
I believe on the third photo, we are seeing it on edge. To me, it does not resemble a claw. Even in a fossil state claws still look very much like claws.
Most of IL. was a shallow Cyprus swamp, and did have Mastodon and other animals. It could be a bone fragment. In the first photo, the dark area on the bottom left, may be the spongy area inside a bone. A extreme close up of that area would be more telling.

Last edited:

It's a precambrian fossilized potato, judging from the first two pictures.

Pic #3 - who knows?

all the pictures are of the same rock, potato LOL!

can i take it to the field museum, does anybody think they would be able to tell me?

Having someone identify it in person will be much easier than over the net. I can't see anything in the pictures that screams 'interesting fossil' though

The surface of Illinois is basically ground up soil from the ice age.
Not a good place to find many fossils. A smooth rock found near the surface was probably polished by water over many years.

If this were encased within a sedimentary rock or strata, then it might be something, but it looks like a piece of quartz or marble.

1) What is a claw fossil?

A claw fossil is a type of fossilized remains that were once part of an animal's claw. It is typically made up of the mineralized remains of the claw, which have been preserved over time.

2) How are claw fossils formed?

Claw fossils are formed through a process called fossilization. This occurs when an animal's remains are buried in sediment, which protects them from decomposition. Over time, the remains become mineralized and turn into fossils.

3) What types of animals have claw fossils?

Claw fossils can be found in a variety of animals, including dinosaurs, birds, mammals, and even some fish. They are most commonly associated with animals that use claws for hunting or defense.

4) How do scientists study claw fossils?

Scientists study claw fossils through a variety of methods, including analyzing their shape, size, and structure. They also use techniques such as X-rays and CT scans to get a better understanding of the internal structure of the fossil.

5) What can we learn from studying claw fossils?

Studying claw fossils can provide valuable insights into the behavior and anatomy of ancient animals. By studying the size and shape of claws, scientists can make inferences about an animal's diet, hunting strategies, and evolutionary history.