1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Likelihood Ratio Statistic & P-value

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2127q75.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    So far I have only worked on question 1, as I was not able to solve it.
    The likelihood ratio test statistic is defined as follows:
    λ = 2 Log(L(theta-hat)/L(theta-hat_0))
    Where L is the likelihood function, the product of all the pdfs/pmfs, and theta-hat is the maximum likelikhood estimator, the value of theta that maximizes the likelihood function. Theta-hat_0 is the same, but it is restricted to be in accordance with the H0 hypothesis.

I sincerely apologize for the lack of Latex, I am still learning how to work with it, I hope it didn't make it too vague.

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright, so what I've done so far is define the likelihood function as the product of the two pmfs, and I took theta to consist of p1 and p2, although I'm not sure that is allowed? Should I instead use theta = p1-p2?
    L(p1,p2) = [tex]\text{p1}^x \binom{m}{x} (1-\text{p1})^{m-x}[/tex] * [tex]\text{p2}^y \binom{n}{y} (1-\text{p2})^{n-y}[/tex]

Now, finding theta-hat, I just took derivatives with respect to p1 and p2, and set it to zero. It gave me p1 = x / m and p2 = y / n.
    I then did the same for theta-hat_0, but I first set p1 = p2 which gave me theta-hat_0 = (x+y) / (m+n)

However, plugging this all into the expression for λ doesn't give me a very pretty expression, which tells me that maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I get λ = [tex]2 \log \left(\left(\frac{x}{m}\right)^x \left(1-\frac{x}{m}\right)^{m-x} \left(\frac{y}{n}\right)^y
    \left(1-\frac{y}{n}\right)^{n-y}\right)-2 \log \left(\left(\frac{x+y}{m+n}\right)^{x+y}
    \left(1-\frac{x+y}{m+n}\right)^{m+n-x-y}\right)[/tex]

Could anyone indicate where I went wrong, if this is wrong? Maybe I'm not seeing some of the trivial simplifications here. After I figure out how to do this, I'll post where I get stuck with b!

Thank you

Edit: If it clarifies, I could post what my lamda is without filling in the values, but its basically 2Log of the pmfs multiplied with p1 = x/m, p2 = y/n, divided by the pmfs multiplied with p1 = p2 = m+n/(x+y)

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2
    I suppose it might not be wrong after all. I mean, if I plug the values in, I get something like 2.08, or something of the sort. Not a bad value by any means. However, I don't understand how to compute the P-value of this, sadly. Could anyone help me with that?

4. May 14, 2013 #3
    Ok, so I suppose the answer is just right. I get lamda = 2.04, and the chi square distribution with 1 degree of freedom for 5% gives a higher value, so Ho is not rejected. The P-value I get is also bigger than .1, so it's not rejected. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted