1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lim x->0 (arctan(x^2))/(sinx+tanx)^2

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim x→0 [itex]\frac{arctan(x^{2})}{(sinx+tanx)^{2}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so at first, the form is [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] so I use L'Hopital's rule. I get the following as my answer.

lim x→0 [itex]\frac{1}{1+x^{4}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{1}{2(sinx+tanx)(cosx+sec^{2}x}[/itex]

But the form is not 0/0 and I cannot figure out what to do at this point. I have tried expanding out the (sinx+tanx) with the (cosx+sec^2x) to no avail.. and I can't really think of what else to do.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2
  4. Dec 1, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You did not differentiate arctan(x^2) correctly. Don't forget the chain rule!

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4
    Thanks! But now I have another issue.

When I fix my error, I get

lim x→0 [itex]\frac{x}{(1+x^4)(sinx+tanx)(cosx+sec^2x)}[/itex]

This is of the form 0/0

I tried to expand the bottom and I get a HUGE equation, a very very long equation and I must be doing this wrong. Any ideas?

PS: This is the equation I get.

[itex]\frac{x}{sinxcosx+sinxsec^{2}x+sinx+tanxsec^{2}x+x^{4}sinxcosx+x^{4}sinxsec^{2}x+x^{4}sinx+x^{4}tanxsec^{2}x}[/itex]

I really doubt that I am expected to use hopitals rule on that.. even though it wouldn't be too hard

6. Dec 1, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's lim x->0 of 1/((1+x^4)*(cos(x)+sec(x)^2))? That part is not indeterminant. It just approaches a constant. Just do l'Hopital on the indeterminant part.

7. Dec 1, 2011 #6
    Oh, I completely forgot you could do that! I get 1/4 is the answer to the question.. which I hope is right. And thanks so much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook