1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lim(x*sqrt(1-cos(2*Pi/x)),x->Infinty) using analytical methods

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    Hey guys,

My cousin came over and was talking about his geometry class and it got me to derive 2*Pi*r and Pi*r^2 using polygons of n sides as n goes to infinity. For the area I ended up using a taylor expansion of sin to weasel myself out of a 0 times infinity, but this is not being very nice. I have tried three iteration of L'Hopital and ended up with a tangent, with more trig functions to come from further iterations I think. The limit converges nicely, pretty quickly too, but I dont want to use numerical methods. I tried a binomial expansion but ended up with a long list of 0*inf. terms there.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2
    You have Cos(2*stuff) so use a double angle trig identity to get something squared in the sqrt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook