1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit as n->infinity of (n^n)/n!

1. May 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the limit ##\lim_{n\to\infty} \dfrac{n^n}{n!}##

2. Relevant equations
    Ratio test: ##a_{n+1}*\dfrac{1}{a_n}##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I was having trouble evaluating this so I tried to use the ratio test which unfortunately leads to ##\lim_{n\to\infty} \dfrac{n}{n+1}## which just ends up being 1 which does not tell me whether the series is convergent or divergent. Alternatively I tried looking at it like this but I couldn't see where to go from there $$\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{n}{1} \frac {n}{2} \frac {n}{3} \cdots \frac{n}{n} $$

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can use either the last expression that you gave to bound the expression from below by a diverging function, or you can take the logarithm of everything and apply Stirling's approximation.

4. May 18, 2015 #3
    Sorry I'm quite lost as to how I would go about finding a boundary for this function, is there a theorem or something I should be aware of?

5. May 18, 2015 #4
    Hi potatochip911,
    n^n/n! = (n*n*....n)/(1*2*....n)
    (n+1)^(n+1)/(n+1)! = (n+1)(n+1)...../(1*2*...(n+1)),
    Hope this makes it easier, you can take out (n+1) from the second and compare the two series, and use induction, if the n^n/n! Is divergent then so is (n+1)^(n+1)/(n+1)!

6. May 18, 2015 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about n/k > 1 for n > k?

7. May 18, 2015 #6
    I don't think I'm allowed to use induction to solve these problems.

Can I just do this? $$\frac{n^2}{2} < \frac{n^n}{n!} \mbox{on the interval} [1,\infty] \\ \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{n^2}{2}=\infty$$ and then since a function smaller function diverges the original must also diverge? Edit: I think I messed this up again I keep thinking in terms of sums

8. May 18, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can even do this: ##n = n/1 < n^n/n!##

9. May 18, 2015 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need induction, although it's perfectly valid to use induction for any maths problem - unless it's explicitly stated that you can't. Anyway, back to your problem. Where did you get ##n^2/2## from?

##n^n## and ##n!## both have ##n## terms; ##n^n## is clearly much larger than ##n!## as ##n## increases. So, all you need is a crude estimate. There is, in fact, a very simple estimate. Can you spot it?

PS: I see Orodruin beat me to it!

PPS: You are also allowed to calculate some values. For example, if you tried n = 5, you'd see that:

##5! = 120## whereas ##5^5 = 25 \times 125##

So, it should be fairly obvious from that where this sequence is heading!

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  10. May 18, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would say he used the first two factors of:
    rather than just the first.

Edit: Of course, this does not tell you how fast it diverges. Stirling's approximation will do that for you (and you should find that it diverges exponentially).

11. May 18, 2015 #10
    Okay I will keep that in mind for the future.

Yea its just I'm going through a textbook from start to finish and we haven't touched on induction yet so I didn't want to use it. Thanks for the help guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted