Limit case of integral with exp and modified Bessel function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate a complex equation involving a modified Bessel function and a Marcum Q-function. The individual is seeking help and has been attempting to solve the integral for two days. They also mention three possible limits for the integral. A possible solution is suggested using a series expansion of the modified Bessel function and converting the integral into a form that can be solved using integration by parts. Alternatively, using a math software such as Wolfram Alpha can also be helpful.
leialee

Homework Statement

How to integrate this?

##\int_{0}^{A} x e^{-a x^2}~ I_0(x) dx##

where ##I_0## is modified Bessel function of first kind?

I'm trying per partes and looking trough tables of integrals for 2 days now, and I would really really appreciate some help.

This is a part of a problem, whis would be this:

##T(r,z,t)=C\int_{0}^{B} u^{-\frac{3}{2}} du \int_{0}^{A} dr_0 r_0 e^{-\frac{r^2+r_0^2+z^2}{u}}~2\pi I_0(\frac{2rr_0}{u})####A=constant##

##B=4Dt##

##u=4D(t-t_0)##

and if the first integral isn't solvable with something relatively not- fancy as hmm let's say Marcum Q-function (cuz what even is that) how do i go about checking out limits for this second integral? Does anyone have any ideas?

1.) ##t\to \infty##

2.) ##r\to0##

3.) ##z=0##

Physics news on Phys.org
I found that ##I_{0}(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}\frac{x^{2k}}{4^{k}(k!)^2}##, on http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ModifiedBesselFunctionoftheFirstKind.html, so you have that:

##\int_{0}^{A}\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}\frac{x^{2k+1}}{4^{k}(k!)^2}e^{-ax^{2}}dx##

setting ##x^{2}=t## you have

##\int_{0}^{A^2}\frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}\frac{t^{k}}{4^{k}(k!)^2}e^{-at}dt##

if you can put outside the sum you can do it per partes ... , (alternatively you can use a math software in order to examine the integral...)

Likes leialee
I'd vote for wolfram alpha! But if you don't have subscription rights, leave it as an indefinite integral. They seem to do any level of complexity indefinite integrals for free but balk at even simple definite ones.

1. What is a limit case of an integral?

A limit case of an integral refers to the evaluation of an integral at a specific value or range of values that results in a special or unique solution. It can also refer to the behavior of an integral as the limits of integration approach certain values, such as infinity or zero.

2. What is the role of the exponential function in the limit case of an integral?

The exponential function, often denoted as e^x, is frequently used in the limit case of an integral because it is closely related to the concept of growth and decay. It can also be used to represent the probability distribution of certain variables, making it useful in many scientific and mathematical applications.

3. What is a modified Bessel function and how is it related to integrals?

A modified Bessel function, denoted as I_n(x), is a special function that is often used in mathematical physics and engineering. It is closely related to integrals because it can be used to solve certain types of integrals, particularly those involving exponential functions.

4. How do the exponential function and modified Bessel function interact in a limit case of an integral?

In a limit case of an integral, the exponential function and modified Bessel function often interact in a way that allows for the integral to be solved analytically. This is because the modified Bessel function can be used to simplify the exponential function and make it easier to integrate.

5. What are some practical applications of the limit case of an integral with exp and modified Bessel function?

The limit case of an integral with exp and modified Bessel function has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to heat transfer, diffusion, and probability distributions. It is also useful in calculating complex systems with exponential growth or decay, such as radioactive decay or population growth.