Limit Evaluation for (1-tan x) / (sin x - cos x) as x approaches pi/4

  • Thread starter Thread starter meeklobraca
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
meeklobraca
Messages
188
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



lim (1-tan x) / (sin x - cos x)
x-->pi/4

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Im not sure where to start with this one. Should I turn tan x into sinx/cos x and try to do cancel some of the equation out?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
meeklobraca said:

Homework Statement





Im not sure where to start with this one. Should I turn tan x into sinx/cos x and try to do cancel some of the equation out?

I just tried what you suggest and it came out okay.
 
Well I did some work with the equation and got 2/sqrt 2

This is how I got there,

I made the 1 = cos x/cos x
The tan x = sin x/cos x

Then I brought the denomenator up which canceled out both sin x - cos x which left me with 1 / -cos x

I plugged in the pi/4 which is sqrt 2/2 , which equals -2/sqrt2, which equals -sqrt2

What do you guys think?
 
Last edited: