1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of 0/0 indeterminant form, n and k for existence of limit

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

If [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{e^{nx}+e^{-nx}-2cos\frac{nx}{2} - kx^2}{sinx - tanx}[/tex] exists and finite, then possible values of 'n' and 'k'

2. Relevant equations
    By far, I have got one equation relating n and k.
    [tex]\frac{5n^2}{4}-k=0[/tex]

I can simply put choices in there and get answer, but it would be better if I can get answer from the question itself.

3. The attempt at a solution
    By removing the indeterminancy in the denominator and expanding the numerator, I got

[tex]\frac{\left [2\left ( \frac{(nx)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right )-2\left ( -\frac{(nx/2)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right ) \right ]cosx}{-\left ( \frac{sinx}{x} \right )\left ( \frac{1-cos^2x}{x^2} \right )x^3}[/tex]

I expanded the series till x3 or x4. I just want an equation which can confirm the value of n, which is probably 2 (as I am getting a fancy answer, k = 5 :smile:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have t\you tried L'Hôpital's rule ?

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

AGNuke, please don't use SIZE tags. I replaced your itex tags with tex tags.

5. Jun 21, 2012 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

After applying the L'Hôpital's rule twice, I got

[tex]\frac{n^2e^{nx}+n^2e^{-nx}+\frac{n^2}{2}cos\frac{nx}{2}-2k}{-sinx - 2tanx.sex^2x}[/tex]

After entering x = 0; since the denominator approaches zero, so must the numerator. After doing so, I got that same previous equation

[tex]\frac{5n^2}{4}-k=0[/tex]

OK and Thanks. I don't have much experience with latex and their size issue.

6. Jun 21, 2012 #5
    Isn't that still an indeterminate form? Even if both the denominator and numerator approach 0 as x tends to zero, it doesnt guarantee that the limit exists, for one may reach 0 faster than the other.

7. Jun 22, 2012 #6

AGNuke

Gold Member

But the question states that the limit DO exist. That's why I made both of them to approach 0 as the denominator is going to do that for sure.

And I tried using n = 2 and eventually k = 5, the limit is 0.

8. Jun 22, 2012 #7
    Ah, I get your point. It looks like there are infinitely many solutions though.

9. Jun 22, 2012 #8
    Assuming you haven't solved this yet, L' Hospitals's rule looks REALLY tempting here.

10. Jun 22, 2012 #9
    Thats like saying the limit doesn't exist.

11. Jun 22, 2012 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That all looks good.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{5n^2}{4}-k=0\quad\to\quad k=\frac{5n^2}{4}[/itex]

So plug-in [itex]\displaystyle \frac{5n^2}{4}[/itex] for k :

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{n^2e^{nx}+n^2e^{-nx}+\frac{n^2}{2}\cos\frac{nx}{2}-2k}{-\sin x -2\tan x\sec^2 x}
    \quad\to\quad \frac{n^2e^{nx}+n^2e^{-nx}+\frac{n^2}{2}\cos\frac{nx}{2}-\frac{5n^2}{2}}{-\sin x(1 +2\sec^3 x)}[/itex]

and call on L'Hôpital one more time.

12. Jun 22, 2012 #11

AGNuke

Gold Member

If I do so, wouldn't the numerator becomes zero all on its own?

13. Jun 22, 2012 #12

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

How about the denominator?

14. Jun 22, 2012 #13

AGNuke

Gold Member

Denominator was 0 right from the beginning.

Even if I apply LH rule twice, I still won't get any respectable equation.

15. Jun 22, 2012 #14

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the derivative of [itex]-\sin x(1 +2\sec^3 x)\ ?[/itex]

That derivative is not zero at x=0 .

16. Jun 22, 2012 #15

AGNuke

Gold Member

If I apply LH rule once after that fancy equation, maybe the denominator is -3, but the numerator becomes 0 all on its own, without leaving a gap for determining the value of n.

17. Jun 22, 2012 #16

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then that means that the limit is 0, doesn't it?

18. Jun 22, 2012 #17
    Are you allowed to use infinitesimal of equivalent?
    Note that 3(sin(x)-x) and sin(x)-tan(x) are equivalent infinitesimals as x approaches 0. Which makes much less miserable to apply L'Hôpital's rule multiple times.

19. Jun 23, 2012 #18

AGNuke

Gold Member

Yeah, It was obvious from the start, since that relation between n and k was established assuming limit is 0.

20. Jun 23, 2012 #19

AGNuke

Gold Member

Hmm... But my problem is not denominator, it's numerator.

What I actually need is to find the value of n so I can find k as well using the relation derived earlier.

For now, I answered the question through glamorous "hit-and-trial" considering it works best if this problem is to be solved under two minutes. Cancelling 4 with n2 with n = 2 and getting k = 5. (And the limit do exist, 0)

21. Jun 23, 2012 #20

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You got that relation between n and k, by making the limit of the numerator be zero, not by making the limit of the overall expression be zero.

There's a BIG difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook