1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a function in two variables

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove with [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex]: [itex]Lim_{(a,b)\rightarrow(0,0)}\frac{sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}=0[/itex]
    Hint: [itex]\left|sin(a+b)\right|\leq\left|a+b\right|\leq\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]0<\sqrt{(x-x_{0})^{2}+(y-y_{0})^{2}}<\delta[/itex]
    and
    [itex]\left|f(x,y)-L\right|<\epsilon[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried the polar conversion, which was just messy and got me nowhere. Then I tried inputting for [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex] formula: [itex]0<\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}<\delta[/itex] and [itex]\frac{sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}-0<\epsilon[/itex] so that [itex]sin^{2}(a-b)<(\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|)\epsilon[/itex]
    The tutorials I've seen use the [itex]\epsilon[/itex] inequality and transform it into the [itex]\delta[/itex] inequality, but I don't know how to do this. I'm just looking for a way to solve it, not necessarily using the "hint".

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The hint appears to be very useful here.

If [itex]\left|\sin(a+b)\right|\leq\left|a+b\right|\leq \left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex],

then [itex]\left|\sin(a-b)\right|[/itex]
    [itex]=\left|\sin(a+(-b))\right|\leq\left|a+(-b)\right|\leq\left|a\right|+\left|-b\right|[/itex]
                   [itex]=\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]​

4. Jun 26, 2012 #3
    Okay, that makes more sense. So if [itex]sin^{2}(a-b)\leq sin(a-b)\leq\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]
    Then
    [itex]\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|<\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\epsilon[/itex]
    So
    [itex]1\leq \epsilon[/itex]

However, I've been taught to solve for [itex]\delta[/itex] first, and then prove with Given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] and Choose [itex]\delta= constant*\epsilon[/itex]. Now if I have [itex]\epsilon[/itex] first, how do I construct a proof this way ?

5. Jun 26, 2012 #4
    Any guidance is appreciated :)

6. Jun 26, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That basically shows that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}\leq1[/itex] no matter what the value of δ .

But you need to find a δ so that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}\leq\varepsilon[/itex], whenever [itex]\displaystyle 0<\sqrt{a^2+b^2}<\delta\,.[/itex]

7. Jun 26, 2012 #6
    I'm not sure how I can go about that. Where should I start looking for a delta ?

8. Jun 26, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you know that [itex]\displaystyle \left|\sin(a-b)\right|\leq\left|a \right|+\left|b\right|\,,[/itex]

so [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left| a\right|+\left|b\right|}\leq\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\ .[/itex]

And as is usually done, start with ε and \work your way to δ.

Then for the proof you write-up, reverse the order.

Typo fixed in Edit.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  9. Jun 26, 2012 #8
    Okay, so this is where I am. [itex]0\leq\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}^{2}\leq\delta^{2}[/itex]
    So
    [itex]0\leq\left|a^{2}+b^{2}\right|\leq\delta^{2}[/itex]
    and because
    [itex]\left|a^{2}+b^{2}\right|\leq \left|a^{2}\right|+\left|b^{2}\right|[/itex]
    Then
    [itex]0\leq\left|a^{2}\right|+\left|b^{2}\right|\leq\delta^{2}[/itex]
    and I would somehow slide in that
    [itex]\frac{\sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}[/itex]≤[itex]\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]
    I feel like I could use the triangle inequality: [itex]\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\geq \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex]
    but I am I allowed to squeeze it in between the [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex]and δ?
    because I've so far only squeezed stuff in between [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex] and 0

10. Jun 26, 2012 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show that [itex]\displaystyle 2\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\ge\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\ ?[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook