Limit of a function in two variables

In summary: How can I do that?I'm not sure how I can do that.You could square both sides and then use the triangle inequality.Or just use the definition rigorously:\displaystyle 2\sqrt{a^2+b^2}=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}+\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\ge\left|\sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2}\right|=\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\ .That makes sense. So then I could say that because \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}\geq \left|a\right|+\left|b\right| , then
Misirlou

Homework Statement

Prove with [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex]: [itex]Lim_{(a,b)\rightarrow(0,0)}\frac{sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}=0[/itex]
Hint: [itex]\left|sin(a+b)\right|\leq\left|a+b\right|\leq\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]0<\sqrt{(x-x_{0})^{2}+(y-y_{0})^{2}}<\delta[/itex]
and
[itex]\left|f(x,y)-L\right|<\epsilon[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the polar conversion, which was just messy and got me nowhere. Then I tried inputting for [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex] formula: [itex]0<\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}<\delta[/itex] and [itex]\frac{sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}-0<\epsilon[/itex] so that [itex]sin^{2}(a-b)<(\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|)\epsilon[/itex]
The tutorials I've seen use the [itex]\epsilon[/itex] inequality and transform it into the [itex]\delta[/itex] inequality, but I don't know how to do this. I'm just looking for a way to solve it, not necessarily using the "hint".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Misirlou said:

Homework Statement

Prove with [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex]: [itex]Lim_{(a,b)\rightarrow(0,0)}\frac{sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}[/itex]
Hint: [itex]\left|sin(a+b)\right|\leq\left|a+b\right|\leq\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]0<\sqrt{(x-x_{0})^{2}+(y-y_{0})^{2}}<\delta[/itex]
and
[itex]\left|f(x,y)-L\right|<\epsilon[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the polar conversion, which was just messy and got me nowhere. Then I tried inputting for [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex] formula: [itex]0<\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}<\delta[/itex] and [itex]\frac{sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}-0<\epsilon[/itex] so that [itex]sin^{2}(a-b)<(\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|)\epsilon[/itex]
The tutorials I've seen use the [itex]\epsilon[/itex] inequality and transform it into the [itex]\delta[/itex] inequality, but I don't know how to do this. I'm just looking for a way to solve it, not necessarily using the "hint".
The hint appears to be very useful here.

If [itex]\left|\sin(a+b)\right|\leq\left|a+b\right|\leq \left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex],

then [itex]\left|\sin(a-b)\right|[/itex]
[itex]=\left|\sin(a+(-b))\right|\leq\left|a+(-b)\right|\leq\left|a\right|+\left|-b\right|[/itex]
               [itex]=\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]​

Okay, that makes more sense. So if [itex]sin^{2}(a-b)\leq sin(a-b)\leq\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]
Then
[itex]\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|<\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\epsilon[/itex]
So
[itex]1\leq \epsilon[/itex]

However, I've been taught to solve for [itex]\delta[/itex] first, and then prove with Given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] and Choose [itex]\delta= constant*\epsilon[/itex]. Now if I have [itex]\epsilon[/itex] first, how do I construct a proof this way ?

Any guidance is appreciated :)

Misirlou said:
Okay, that makes more sense. So if [itex]sin^{2}(a-b)\leq sin(a-b)\leq\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]
Then
[itex]\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|<\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\epsilon[/itex]
So
[itex]1\leq \epsilon[/itex]

However, I've been taught to solve for [itex]\delta[/itex] first, and then prove with Given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] and Choose [itex]\delta= constant*\epsilon[/itex]. Now if I have [itex]\epsilon[/itex] first, how do I construct a proof this way ?
That basically shows that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}\leq1[/itex] no matter what the value of δ .

But you need to find a δ so that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}\leq\varepsilon[/itex], whenever [itex]\displaystyle 0<\sqrt{a^2+b^2}<\delta\,.[/itex]

I'm not sure how I can go about that. Where should I start looking for a delta ?

Misirlou said:
I'm not sure how I can go about that. Where should I start looking for a delta ?
Well, you know that [itex]\displaystyle \left|\sin(a-b)\right|\leq\left|a \right|+\left|b\right|\,,[/itex]

so [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left| a\right|+\left|b\right|}\leq\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\ .[/itex]

And as is usually done, start with ε and \work your way to δ.

Then for the proof you write-up, reverse the order.

Typo fixed in Edit.

Last edited:
Okay, so this is where I am. [itex]0\leq\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}^{2}\leq\delta^{2}[/itex]
So
[itex]0\leq\left|a^{2}+b^{2}\right|\leq\delta^{2}[/itex]
and because
[itex]\left|a^{2}+b^{2}\right|\leq \left|a^{2}\right|+\left|b^{2}\right|[/itex]
Then
[itex]0\leq\left|a^{2}\right|+\left|b^{2}\right|\leq\delta^{2}[/itex]
and I would somehow slide in that
[itex]\frac{\sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}[/itex]≤[itex]\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]
I feel like I could use the triangle inequality: [itex]\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\geq \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex]
but I am I allowed to squeeze it in between the [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex]and δ?
because I've so far only squeezed stuff in between [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex] and 0

Misirlou said:
Okay, so this is where I am. [itex]0\leq\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}^{2}\leq\delta^{2}[/itex]
So
[itex]0\leq\left|a^{2}+b^{2}\right|\leq\delta^{2}[/itex]
and because
[itex]\left|a^{2}+b^{2}\right|\leq \left|a^{2}\right|+\left|b^{2}\right|[/itex]
Then
[itex]0\leq\left|a^{2}\right|+\left|b^{2}\right|\leq \delta^{2}[/itex]
and I would somehow slide in that
[itex]\frac{\sin^{2}(a-b)}{\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|}[/itex]≤[itex]\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|[/itex]
I feel like I could use the triangle inequality: [itex]\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\geq \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex]
but I am I allowed to squeeze it in between the [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex]and δ?
because I've so far only squeezed stuff in between [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex] and 0
Can you show that [itex]\displaystyle 2\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\ge\left|a\right|+\left|b\right|\ ?[/itex]

1. What is the definition of a limit of a function in two variables?

The limit of a function in two variables is the value that the function approaches as the input variables approach a specific point in the domain. It can be thought of as the value that the function "approaches" or gets closer to as the input variables get closer and closer to a specific point.

2. How is the limit of a function in two variables calculated?

The limit of a function in two variables is calculated by plugging in various values for the input variables and observing the corresponding output values. As the input variables get closer and closer to the specific point, if the output values approach a specific value, then that value is the limit of the function at that point.

3. What is the difference between a limit of a function in one variable and in two variables?

The main difference between a limit of a function in one variable and in two variables is the number of input variables. In one variable, there is only one input variable, whereas in two variables, there are two input variables. This means that the limit in two variables can be affected by the behavior of both input variables, whereas in one variable, the limit is only affected by the behavior of one input variable.

4. Can a function have a different limit at different points in its domain?

Yes, a function can have a different limit at different points in its domain. The limit of a function in two variables can vary depending on the specific point being approached in the domain. This is because the behavior of the function can change at different points in the domain, which can affect the limit.

5. How is the limit of a function in two variables used in real-life applications?

The limit of a function in two variables is used in many real-life applications, such as in economics, engineering, and physics. It can be used to analyze the behavior of a system or process as the input variables change, and can help predict outcomes or optimize performance. For example, the limit of a cost function in economics can help determine the minimum cost for a certain production process.