1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Limit of a Function of Two Variables

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the limit of the function f(x,y) = [tex]\frac{y^3}{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I approached this problem using the multiple-path method and found the following:

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow 0} [/tex] [tex]\frac{y^3}{x^2+y^2}[/tex] = y
    [tex]\stackrel{lim}{y\rightarrow 0} [/tex] [tex]\frac{y^3}{x^2+y^2}[/tex] = 0

and am having trouble interpreting these results. I tried doing a polar substitution and found that:

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{r\rightarrow 0} [/tex] [tex]\frac{y^3}{x^2+y^2}[/tex] = y*sin2(theta)

My calculus book is very short on the topic, I am pretty much left in the dark. Please bring me into the light. haha.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2
    Are you trying determine the limit of the function at the origin? Try using the fact that [itex]x^2 + y^2 \geq y^2[/itex] and apply the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_theorem" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 2, 2010 #3
    Yes, I am trying to determine the limit as x,y approaches the origin. The problem is that I have no clue how to apply the squeeze theorem. I cant find any good sites on it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

google squeeze theorem - it's also called the sandwich theorem, or the pinching theorem

6. Feb 2, 2010 #5
    Ahhh okay, so what I would want to say is that [tex]y^2[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\frac{y^3}{x^2+y^2}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]x2+y2 ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook