1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sine function problem.

1. Oct 10, 2006 #1
    Part a)I need help understanding a step in solving [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}xsin(\frac{1}{x})[/tex]

The textbook is suggesting I replace [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] with y, so that I can get a limit in the form

[tex]\lim_{y\rightarrow 0}\frac{siny}{y}[/tex] which is understandably easy to solve. The part I don't understand is how the limit changes from x approaches inf to y approaches 0. I was running into the same confusion with this problem as well so perhaps I should post it.

Part b)Solve [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin4x}{sin3x}[/tex]

They then proceed in their next step to write it as [tex]\frac{\lim_{4x\rightarrow 0}4x(\frac{sin4x}{4x})}{\lim_{3x\rightarrow 0}3x(\frac{sin3x}{3x})}[/tex]

How do they get the 4x approaches 0 and 3x approaches 0, I understand it as a "this is the way to do it" and can do it easily, but I'd like to know what they are doing. Anyways, thanks :smile:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Forthe first question: If x is approaching infinity, what is 1/x approaching? Therefore, what is y approaching?

For the second question, I can't see your latex image, but I think I can help you with your question. If x approaches zero, what would you think 4x approaches? Specifically, try taking the limit of 4x as x goes to zero, and remember that if there's no problem, as a general rule of thumb you can just plug in what x approaches and do the limit real easy

4. Oct 10, 2006 #3

StatusX

Homework Helper

If f(x)->b as x->a, then the limit of g(f(x)) as x goes to a is equal to the limit of g(y) as y goes to b. Proving this is a nice exercise in the epsilon delta definition of a limit.

5. Oct 10, 2006 #4
    Thankyou both, :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?