Limit of an inverse tangent function

In summary, the limit as x approaches infinity of arctan[(1/x)-1] is equal to arctan(-1), which is equivalent to -pi/4. The correct approach is to use the fact that arctan is a continuous function and to evaluate the limit of (1/x)-1 as x approaches infinity.
greenteacup

Homework Statement

limit as x->[tex]\infty[/tex] of arctan[(1/x)-1]

2. The attempt at a solution

Well, my graphing calculator is showing a vertical asymptote at x=0 and a horizontal one at x=(what I think is) -[tex]\pi[/tex]/4

I'm not really sure how to solve this though... hence me being here : /

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out by splitting it up into lim(arctan(1/x)) and lim(arctan(1)), which did indeed give me -pi/4. I'm not sure how to delete this though, so I'll just leave it up for anyone who's having a similar problem, I suppose. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
greenteacup said:

Homework Statement

limit as x->[tex]\infty[/tex] of arctan[(1/x)-1]

2. The attempt at a solution

Well, my graphing calculator is showing a vertical asymptote at x=0 and a horizontal one at x=(what I think is) -[tex]\pi[/tex]/4

I'm not really sure how to solve this though... hence me being here : /

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out by splitting it up into lim(arctan(1/x)) and lim(arctan(1)), which did indeed give me -pi/4. I'm not sure how to delete this though, so I'll just leave it up for anyone who's having a similar problem, I suppose. :)

You got the right answer, but you did it wrong. arctan(1/x-1) is not equal to arctan(1/x)-arctan(1). You can't break it up that way. If you know lim(1/x)=0 then lim(1/x-1)=(-1). Then since arctan is continuous, lim(arctan(1/x-1))=arctan(lim(1/x-1))=arctan(-1).

Ok take y=(1/x)-1. What y goes to as x goes to infinity?

1. What is the limit of an inverse tangent function as x approaches infinity?

The limit of an inverse tangent function as x approaches infinity is equal to π/2 or 90 degrees.

2. How do you find the limit of an inverse tangent function?

To find the limit of an inverse tangent function, you can use the definition of the inverse tangent function or apply L'Hôpital's rule.

3. What is the rule for finding the limit of an inverse tangent function?

The rule for finding the limit of an inverse tangent function is to first simplify the function, then take the limit as x approaches the given value. If the resulting expression is indeterminate, you can use L'Hôpital's rule or other techniques to evaluate the limit.

4. Can the limit of an inverse tangent function be undefined?

Yes, the limit of an inverse tangent function can be undefined. This typically occurs when the function approaches a vertical asymptote or when the limit is a complex number.

5. How is the limit of an inverse tangent function related to its graph?

The limit of an inverse tangent function is related to its graph by the fact that the limit represents the value that the function approaches as x gets closer and closer to a certain value. This is visually represented by the graph approaching a specific point or line on the y-axis.