What is the oblique limit of a function with a hard limit to infinity?

In summary, a hard limit to infinity is a fixed value that a function or sequence can approach but cannot surpass as the independent variable approaches infinity. It differs from a soft limit, which allows for a function or sequence to approach infinity without reaching a specific value. The significance of a hard limit to infinity in mathematics is that it helps determine the behavior and characteristics of a function or sequence in the long run. A function or sequence can only have one hard limit to infinity, and it can be calculated by evaluating the function or sequence as the independent variable approaches infinity using various methods such as L'Hopital's rule or determining the end behavior of a function.
loreberto911
Hi everybody, I have this function to study

##\frac{(x+1)}{arctan(x+1)}##

I need the limit to infinity,it's oblique and I have to find q,from y=mx+q.
so

q=lim(x->inf) ##\frac{(x+1)}{arctan(x+1)} -2x/\pi##

I don't know how to solve it.the limit gives infinity to me.but calculators online give
##q=\frac{2(2+\pi)}{\pi^2}##

I can't use laurent series
thanks!

Ok I post everything I know, the function is
##f(x)=\frac{(x+1)}{arctan(x+1)}##
I have to do a normal study function, the limit the function to +- inf is inf so I have to find the oblique limit.
the formula is
lim x->inf f(x)-mx-q=0

m=lim x->+-inf f(x)/x=lim ##f(x)=\frac{(x+1)}{xarctan(x+1)}##=##\frac{2}{\pi}##

q= lim x->+-inf f(x)-mx = ##f(x)=\frac{(x+1)}{arctan(x+1)}## - ##\frac{2x}{\pi}##

=##\frac{\pi x+\pi-2x atan(x+1)}{atan(x+1)\pi}## =inf

but q has to be ##q=\frac{2(2+\pi)}{\pi^2}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
loreberto911 said:
I don't know how to solve it.the limit gives infinity to me.
Please show your work then, otherwise it is impossible to tell what went wrong.

I moved the thread to our homework section.

loreberto911 said:
$$q = \lim_{x \to \infty} [f(x)-mx] = \lim_{x \to \infty} \left[\frac{(x+1)}{\arctan(x+1)}-\frac{2x}{\pi}\right]$$
First, do a change variables to ##u=x+1## to simplify the fraction a bit.
$$q = \lim_{u \to \infty} \left[\frac{u}{\arctan u}-\frac{2(u-1)}{\pi}\right]$$ Then try writing the denominator as ##\frac{\pi}{2} + \left(\arctan u - \frac{\pi}{2}\right)##. Can you see where to go from there?

What is a hard limit to infinity?

A hard limit to infinity is a mathematical concept that refers to the maximum value that a function or sequence can approach as its independent variable approaches infinity. It is also known as a "hard bound" or "absolute limit".

How is a hard limit to infinity different from a soft limit?

Unlike a soft limit, which allows for a function or sequence to approach infinity without reaching a specific value, a hard limit is a fixed value that cannot be surpassed even as the independent variable approaches infinity.

What is the significance of a hard limit to infinity in mathematics?

A hard limit to infinity allows for the evaluation of functions or sequences that may behave differently as the independent variable approaches infinity. It helps to determine the behavior and characteristics of a function or sequence in the long run.

Can a function or sequence have multiple hard limits to infinity?

No, a function or sequence can only have one hard limit to infinity. If there are multiple hard limits, then the function or sequence is said to be oscillating and does not have a well-defined limit as the independent variable approaches infinity.

How can a hard limit to infinity be calculated?

A hard limit to infinity can be calculated by evaluating the function or sequence as the independent variable approaches infinity. This can be done through graphical or algebraic methods, such as using L'Hopital's rule or determining the end behavior of a function.