1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of definite sum equals ln(2)

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As part of a problem I have to show that [tex]lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{i=\frac{n}{2}}^{n}\frac{1}{i}=ln(2)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Taylor expansion of ln(2): [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    ln(2) can be written as: [tex]ln(2) = \sum_{i=1}^{\frac{n}{2}}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k} + \sum_{i=\frac{n}{2}+1}^{n}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k} + \sum_{i=n+1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}[/tex]

Where the middle term looks alot like the sum i need. However I need some way to get rid of the alternating sign change, but i don't see how.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can use the exact result that
    [tex] \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{i} = \Psi(n+1) + \gamma,[/tex]
    where ##\gamma## is Euler's constant and
    [tex] \Psi(x) = \frac{\Gamma^{\, \prime}(x)}{\Gamma(x)}[/tex]
    is the so-called "di-gamma" function. This function has numerous published properties, which should allow you to derive the answer you want.

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    Thanx. But I think this approach is beyond the scope of my course. I was specifically told to look at the taylor expansion of ln(2). Is there a way to do it that way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted