Limit of definite sum equals ln(2)

• Thread starter Berrius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Sum
In summary, the problem at hand involves showing that the limit of a sum with a specific range of indices converges to the natural logarithm of 2. The student considers using the Taylor expansion of ln(2) and attempts to manipulate the terms to match the desired sum, but is unsure how to handle the alternating sign change. An alternative approach using the digamma function is suggested, but the student is unsure if it is within the scope of their course.
Berrius

Homework Statement

As part of a problem I have to show that [tex]lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{i=\frac{n}{2}}^{n}\frac{1}{i}=ln(2)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Taylor expansion of ln(2): [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ln(2) can be written as: [tex]ln(2) = \sum_{i=1}^{\frac{n}{2}}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k} + \sum_{i=\frac{n}{2}+1}^{n}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k} + \sum_{i=n+1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}[/tex]

Where the middle term looks a lot like the sum i need. However I need some way to get rid of the alternating sign change, but i don't see how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Berrius said:

Homework Statement

As part of a problem I have to show that [tex]lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{i=\frac{n}{2}}^{n}\frac{1}{i}=ln(2)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Taylor expansion of ln(2): [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ln(2) can be written as: [tex]ln(2) = \sum_{i=1}^{\frac{n}{2}}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k} + \sum_{i=\frac{n}{2}+1}^{n}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k} + \sum_{i=n+1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}[/tex]

Where the middle term looks a lot like the sum i need. However I need some way to get rid of the alternating sign change, but i don't see how.

You can use the exact result that
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{i} = \Psi(n+1) + \gamma,[/tex]
where ##\gamma## is Euler's constant and
[tex] \Psi(x) = \frac{\Gamma^{\, \prime}(x)}{\Gamma(x)}[/tex]
is the so-called "di-gamma" function. This function has numerous published properties, which should allow you to derive the answer you want.

Thanx. But I think this approach is beyond the scope of my course. I was specifically told to look at the taylor expansion of ln(2). Is there a way to do it that way?

1. What is the limit of the definite sum of ln(2)?

The limit of the definite sum of ln(2) is equal to 1.

2. How is the limit of the definite sum of ln(2) calculated?

The limit of the definite sum of ln(2) is calculated using the formula: lim n→∞ Σ(i=1 to n) ln(1+1/n).

3. Why is the limit of the definite sum of ln(2) equal to 1?

The limit of the definite sum of ln(2) is equal to 1 because ln(2) is the natural logarithm of the number 2, and as n approaches infinity, the sum of ln(1+1/n) approaches ln(2). Therefore, the limit is equal to ln(2) which is approximately 0.693.

4. Can the limit of the definite sum of ln(2) be calculated using other methods?

Yes, the limit of the definite sum of ln(2) can also be calculated using the integral ∫(0 to 1) 1/x dx, which is equal to ln(2).

5. What is the significance of the limit of the definite sum of ln(2)?

The limit of the definite sum of ln(2) has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to calculate the natural logarithm of a number, which has important uses in exponential growth and decay, as well as in solving differential equations. It also has connections to the concept of e, the base of the natural logarithm, and the concept of compound interest in finance.