1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of sequence n^p/e^n as n approaches infinity

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    Simple question just as the title says, but I can't remember or derive the solution for the life of me. I know that the answer is 0. I know why the answer is 0. But I need to know the mathematical derivation of the solution, and that's the part that I can't remember. So, to reiterate, how do you find:

lim (n^p)/(e^n) as n→∞, where p>0

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    Wait, I think I just figured it out, but I want to make sure this makes sense:

(n^p)/(e^n) =

n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p).......

where:

lim n/e^(n/p) as n→∞ is (by L'hopital's rule) equal to:

*edit for the correct derivative:
    lim 1/[ (1/p) * e^(n/p) ] n →∞ is equal to 0, therefore:

n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p)....... is equal to 0 * 0 * 0 * 0..... therefore,

lim (n^p)/(e^n) as n→∞ is equal to 0

Does that make sense, or am I just making crap up?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    Um, p-iterations of L'Hospital's rule would be much clearer, I think. The limit is certainly 0, but I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4
    I've never heard that term before. Would that basically state that the p-th derivative of n^p equals (p!)?

6. Oct 21, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That reminds me of the "proof" that the derivative of x^2 is just "x". Since x^n is just x added to itself n times, x^x is x added to itself x times: x^x= (x+ x+ x+ ...+ x) and therefore the derivative is (x^x)'= (1+ 1+ 1+ ...+ 1) x times which is equal to x.

That's wrong because you cannot treat doing an operation a variable number of times the same as doing it a constant number of times.

lineintegral is suggesting that you use L'Hopital's rule p times (that's what "p iteration" means). Each time you differentiate the numerator you get a lower power of nwhile the denominator is always e^n. After differentiating p times you have just p! in the numerator and e^n in the denominator. Now take the limit as n goes to infinity.

Strictly speaking, that only works for p a positive integer. For the more general case, write n^p as e^(ln(n^p)= e^(p ln(n)) so that n^p/e^n= e^(pln(n)- n) and look at the limit of pln(n)- n as n goes to infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook