1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem involving x to the power of a function

1. May 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the limit [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} x^{\frac{1}{x^2}}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

At first I was tempted to rewrite the function as a composition and go from there. I soon realised that this wouldn't work as the term being raised to the power of a function of x was a different function of x; to my knowledge, decomposing functions in this way will only work for functions like [tex]a^{f(x)}[/tex]So no luck there.

The next thing I tried was manipulating the function algebraically; unfortunately I just ended up going in circles and wasn't able to get the function into a more useful form.

I came up with another method that seems superficially plausible, but I'm not sure if it's actually valid: that is, rewriting the problem as [tex]x^{\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} {\frac{1}{x^2}}}[/tex]Intuitively, this seems sensible; the limit at infinity of the exponent is 0 and any x > 0 raised to the power of 0 is 1. The course book mentions that you can take a limit "inside" a continuous function (the exact wording). Obviously the function in question isn't continuous on it's entire domain, but it is continuous for all x > 0. Unfortunately, however, the course book doesn't go into any greater detail, and the textbook doesn't address limits of this type at all. If taking the limit "inside" the function in such a manner is a valid operation, then I guess my problem is solved. If not, then I could use a suggestion as to what to try next.

As always, any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##y = x^\frac 1 {x^2}##, try taking the limit of ##\ln y##.

4. May 15, 2013 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using that x=eln(x), the function can be written in the form [tex](e^{\ln(x)}) ^{\frac{1}{x^2}}=e^{\ln(x)\frac{1}{x^2}}[/tex]

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted