1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem / l'hopital's rule

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    The limit n->infinity I have to compute is:

[itex]\frac{n\cdot \log ^{5}(n)}{n^{2}}[/itex]

Should I use L'hopital's rule? If I do, I have a problem:

First I simplify and get:

[itex]\frac{ \log ^{5}(n)}{n}[/itex]

Taking the derivative of the top, and the bottom leads to:

[itex]\frac{\frac{ 5\log ^{4}(n)}{n}}{1}[/itex]

At this point, we can see that the numerator is approaching 0, as n increases.

There 0/1 = 0

Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why is it "obvious" (since you state it without proof) that [itex]5log^4(n)/n[/itex] goes to 0 when it was not obvious for [itex]log^5(n)/n[/itex]?

What do you get if you use L'Hopital again? And Again?

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    I just plugged in very large numbers and saw that it will approach zero. I guess I could have done that with the initial function as well.

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The conclusion is correct. But I don't see why [itex]\frac{ \log ^{4}(n)}{n} \rightarrow 0[/itex] is any more obvious than [itex]\frac{ \log ^{5}(n)}{n} \rightarrow 0[/itex]. Why don't you keep applying l'Hopital until the log disappears?

6. Jan 25, 2012 #5
    Since the denominator becomes one, should I just continue taking the derivative of the numerator, until log disappears?

Thanks

7. Jan 25, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You applied l'Hopital to [itex]\frac{ \log ^{5}(n)}{n}[/itex] correctly. The original denominator of n became 1 but now you get a new denominator of n coming from the derivative of the log.

8. Jan 25, 2012 #7
    I think I see where this is going. I'll keep taking the derivative and eventually end up with a constant over n. Correct?

9. Jan 25, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yessss.

10. Jan 25, 2012 #9
    Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook