Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Limit problem / l'hopital's rule

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    The limit n->infinity I have to compute is:

[itex]\frac{n\cdot \log ^{5}(n)}{n^{2}}[/itex]

Should I use L'hopital's rule? If I do, I have a problem:

First I simplify and get:

[itex]\frac{ \log ^{5}(n)}{n}[/itex]

Taking the derivative of the top, and the bottom leads to:

[itex]\frac{\frac{ 5\log ^{4}(n)}{n}}{1}[/itex]

At this point, we can see that the numerator is approaching 0, as n increases.

There 0/1 = 0

Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Why is it "obvious" (since you state it without proof) that [itex]5log^4(n)/n[/itex] goes to 0 when it was not obvious for [itex]log^5(n)/n[/itex]?

What do you get if you use L'Hopital again? And Again?

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    I just plugged in very large numbers and saw that it will approach zero. I guess I could have done that with the initial function as well.

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The conclusion is correct. But I don't see why [itex]\frac{ \log ^{4}(n)}{n} \rightarrow 0[/itex] is any more obvious than [itex]\frac{ \log ^{5}(n)}{n} \rightarrow 0[/itex]. Why don't you keep applying l'Hopital until the log disappears?

6. Jan 25, 2012 #5
    Since the denominator becomes one, should I just continue taking the derivative of the numerator, until log disappears?

Thanks

7. Jan 25, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You applied l'Hopital to [itex]\frac{ \log ^{5}(n)}{n}[/itex] correctly. The original denominator of n became 1 but now you get a new denominator of n coming from the derivative of the log.

8. Jan 25, 2012 #7
    I think I see where this is going. I'll keep taking the derivative and eventually end up with a constant over n. Correct?

9. Jan 25, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yessss.

10. Jan 25, 2012 #9
    Thank you so much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook