1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem simplify the root

1. Jun 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I feel like I'm missing some theorem which is preventing me from finalizing this problem! It's been driving me nuts I feel like I'm missing something super basic!

Ultimately they've given the solution, g/8, so I know this is how I should try to get the equation to look algebraically. But, no matter how I manipulate it I cant get it to reduce.

I feel like this has to do with √x2 = |x| Which then depending on your value of x will give x, or -x. However, I cant simplify the root into a way which will let me make this jump.
    upload_2015-6-5_12-25-51.png

2. Relevant equations
    https://www.desmos.com/calculator/hf8poewlvb

3. The attempt at a solution
    https://www.desmos.com/calculator/hf8poewlvb
    (link to all my reductions)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try multiplying numerator and denominator by$$
    c\sqrt{\left(\frac{c^2}{g^2}+\frac 1 4\right)}+\frac{c^2}{g}$$

4. Jun 5, 2015 #3
    The conjugate! How could I forget that.. Thank you! Now I have:

PS. g is not squared I wrote it down wrong.
    VhM1czk.jpg

Let me see what more I can do.

5. Jun 5, 2015 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Alternatively: You can take a common factor out of the expression under the square root to obtain [tex]
    h(c) = A\sqrt{1 + x} - \frac{c^2}{g}[/tex] where [itex]x < 1[/itex] for sufficiently large [itex]c[/itex]. Hence you may expand the root as a binomial series, [tex]
    (1 + x)^{\alpha} = 1 + \alpha x + \frac{\alpha(\alpha - 1)}{2!}x^2 + \dots [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  6. Jun 5, 2015 #5
    Thanks for both of your help! Still working on it, sadly.. I pulled out a C so I'm left with:

https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///C:/Users/Steven/Downloads/CodeCogsEqn.gif [Broken]
    7ScJ3py.gif

Im not entirely sure what I could pull out of the root.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Jun 5, 2015 #6
    Factor out the c you'll have 1/4 * (lim c ->0 1/(sqrt(1/g^2 + 1/4c) + 1/g) and don't forget that 1/4c goes to 0 whenever c -> 0, good luck

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Jun 5, 2015 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's good.

##\displaystyle \ \frac14\lim_{c\to\infty}\left(\frac{c^2}{\displaystyle c\sqrt{\left(\frac{c^2}{g^2}+\frac 1 4\right)}+\frac{c^2}{g}}\right)\ ##

One way to deal with rational expressions where some factor →∞ : divide the numerator and denominator by the highest power of that factor.

Divide by c2 in the numerator & denominator.

9. Jun 5, 2015 #8
    I got it! You guys rock thank you so much! Once I got down to that last x Term I realized that a constant/infinity = 0!!!

Here is my work through!
    od4ZL7X.jpg

10. Jun 5, 2015 #9
    You should drop the limit sign from the second last row.

11. Jun 5, 2015 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At the point highlighted above, simply take the limit and simplify.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted