Finding roots: cosine function of x

In summary, when solving for cosine, you take the cosine of the angle in the unit circle, and then add 2pi to the result.
happyparticle
Homework Statement
Finding roots cosine function of x
Relevant Equations
##\frac{-5}{4} +2cos(\frac{\pi d x}{Lv}) + cos(\frac{2\pi dx}{Lv}) = 0##
I need to find the zeros of this function where d,L,v are constants.
After several calculations I faced this equation.
I tried everything I know, but I can't solve this. Maybe I'm missing something or I must made a mistake earlier in the problem.
Thus, I would like to know if it is possible to find the roots analytically (wolfram gave me the roots).##\frac{-5}{4} +2cos(\frac{\pi d x}{Lv}) + cos(\frac{2\pi dx}{Lv}) = 0##

Physics news on Phys.org
By math rule of
[tex]cos 2kx= 2cos^2 kx-1[/tex]
you can get quadratic equation of cos kx where ##k=\pi d/Lv##

Likes happyparticle and FactChecker
Brilliant!
However, since this is a cosine function I have the same answer for different x. I found that patern by guessing with the calculator. however, is there a way to find it mathematically.
I hope this is clear.

happyparticle said:
However, since this is a cosine function I have the same answer for different x.
Please show us what you get actually for further investigation.

happyparticle said:
Brilliant!
However, since this is a cosine function I have the same answer for different x. I found that patern by guessing with the calculator. however, is there a way to find it mathematically.
I hope this is clear.
I think you missed his point. You can use @anuttarasammyak's equation to substitute and analytically solve a quadratic equation.

I good example is ##cos(kx) + cos^2(kx) = -1/4##
##kx = 2.09##
However, ##kx = 4.18, 8.36, 10.45, ...## works aswell.

Could you show "cos kx = .. " for your original OP and the new example in #6 by solving quadratic equations ?

For example in #6, I have ##cos(kx) = \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{1-1}}{2}##
##kx = arc cos( \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{1-1}}{2})##

1-1=0 so you can delete root. Arccos(-1/2) is easy to get.

happyparticle said:
Brilliant!
I hope this is clear.

Remember that [itex]|\cos kx | \leq 1[/itex], so any solution of the quadratic equation which is outside this range can be discarded.

anuttarasammyak said:
1-1=0 so you can delete root. Arccos(-1/2) is easy to get.

I mean, I still have the same question since arc cos(-1/2) ##\approx## 2.09.
However If I plug kx = 4.18 in #6, it works and |cos 4.18| < 1.

Is my question clear or I just don't see your point?

happyparticle said:
I mean, I still have the same question since arc cos(-1/2) ≈ 2.09.

Draw a unit circle and the angle in it. You get precise radian or degree. That's what your teacher expects you to do, I suppose.

I understand this point. Where ##x = {2\pi /3, 4\pi/3, 2\pi/3 + 2\pi + ...}##
however, I'm looking to have an expression for all the possible values of x.

$$\cos(\theta) = \cos(\theta + 2 n \pi), \quad \quad n \in \mathbb{Z}$$

Likes happyparticle

1. What is the cosine function and how does it relate to finding roots?

The cosine function is a mathematical function that calculates the ratio of the adjacent side of a right triangle to its hypotenuse. It is often used in trigonometry to find the measure of angles and sides in a triangle. In the context of finding roots, the cosine function can be used to find the x-values where a given function crosses the x-axis or has a y-value of 0, which are also known as the roots of the function.

2. How do you find the roots of a cosine function of x?

To find the roots of a cosine function of x, you can use the inverse cosine function, also known as arccosine. This function takes the cosine value as an input and returns the angle in radians. By setting the cosine function equal to 0 and solving for x, you can find the x-values where the cosine function crosses the x-axis and therefore the roots of the function.

3. Are there any special cases when finding roots of a cosine function?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when finding roots of a cosine function. First, the cosine function is periodic, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals. Therefore, there will be an infinite number of roots for any cosine function. Second, the roots of a cosine function can only be found within the interval [0, 2π] as the cosine function has a period of 2π.

4. Can the cosine function be used to find complex roots?

No, the cosine function can only be used to find real roots. Complex roots, which involve imaginary numbers, cannot be found using the cosine function. However, the cosine function can be used as part of a larger process to find complex roots of a polynomial function.

5. How can finding roots of a cosine function be applied in real-world situations?

The cosine function can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the amplitude and frequency of a sound wave or the position and velocity of a moving object. It can also be used in financial analysis to determine the periodicity of stock market trends. Overall, finding roots of a cosine function can help solve problems involving periodic patterns and oscillations.