1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit to the strength, the hardness, and the density of a material?

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    Is there a limit to how strong a material we can create? Does yield strength have an upper bound, and how high is that upper bound above materials created today? What about hardness? Is Diamond the limit?

Could we ever make a machine that could survive the pressures and temperature found in the earth's core?

I'm also wondering whether it's possible to create a stable material denser than Osmium? Density is distinct from strength, I know, but it's also something I've been wondering.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is an upper limit which is the strength of the molecular or atomic bond inside the material.
    Most real materials fail below this limit due to imperfections, scratches etc. It is possible to make small samples with no flaws that reach the atomic limit. I don't know if diamond is exactly the limit - but it will be something close.

Not quite, carbon and tungsten melt at around 4500C, the Earth's core is a bit more than that. There is also an issue with the mechanical strength of many materials near their melting point.

If any of the very heavy atoms Z>118 turn out to be stable, they will have a higher density. but other than temporarily producing higher densities under very high pressure, or counting collapsed matter in neutron stars or white dwarfs - no Osmium is probably the densest 'real' material.

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3
    Sounds like we're stuck with what we've got then when it comes to those properties.

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

Or tungsten, depending upon who you ask. There is no consensus on this point.

6. Jul 27, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Really? I though tungsten was about the same density as gold.

7. Jul 27, 2009 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Surely you're thinking of iridium, which has a similar density to osmium? (Tungsten's density is about 10% lower and is similar to gold, as mgb_phys states.)

8. Jul 27, 2009 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook