Limit with integral and absolute value

In summary, the student was studying integral calculus and got stuck on this problem. They solved the problem and found their first mistake. They would like a solution without using L'Hopital rule.
Genilson
Hello good evening to all, I was studying here and got stuck with this.
upload_2016-10-22_17-23-36.png

I solved the integral and got [x+sin(x) -1]
and that´s the farthest that I got. I would appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Genilson said:
Hello good evening to all, I was studying here and got stuck with this.
View attachment 107864
I solved the integral and got [x+sin(x) -1]
and that´s the farthest that I got. I would appreciate the help.
Can you explain, what ##sen## means and where the ##1## in your antiderivative comes from?

Likes Genilson
fresh_42 said:
Can you explain, what sen means
I believe it is another abbreviation for sine.

Likes Genilson
yep , sorry (sen) = (sin).
Ok, the antiderivative should be
[ t + sin(t) ] from 0 to x.
Then I get [ x + sin(x) - 0 - sin(0) ] and Yep, I found my first mistake. sin(0) = 0

Btw I would like a solution without using L' Hopital rule, if there is one of course.

Genilson said:
yep , sorry (sen) = (sin).
Ok, the antiderivative should be
[ t + sin(t) ] from 0 to x.
Then I get [ x + sin(x) - 0 - sin(0) ] and Yep, I found my first mistake. sin(0) = 0

Btw I would like a solution without using L' Hopital rule, if there is one of course.
Are you allowed to use ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin (x)}{x}=1##? If so, you could cancel the quotient by an ##x##.

Likes Genilson
Yep, I can use sinx/x limit but it still leave me with 0 in the denominator

Genilson said:
Yep, I can use sinx/x limit but it still leave me with 0 in the denominator
And a ##2## in the nominator, which tells you?

Edit: Or more directly: What happens, if you divide a real number by a number that gets closer and closer to zero?

Last edited:
Likes Genilson
it goes to + infinite, but Wolfram gives me as answer +inf and - inf.

Genilson said:
it goes to + infinite, but Wolfram gives me as answer +inf and - inf.
You'd probably ignored the absolute value of your denominator. How do you manage to get a negative number?

Likes Genilson
I have 1 + sinx/x in the numerator, so, they´re supposed to tend to zero isn´t it? from the left or from the right it will return me 0, or am I wrong?

Genilson said:
I have 1 + sinx/x in the numerator, so, they´re supposed to tend to zero isn´t it? from the left or from the right it will return me 0, or am I wrong?
##\sin x## and ##x## are pretty much the same in a small neighborhood around zero, aren't they? This means ##\frac{\sin x}{x} \, \approx \,1##.
If ##x## is negative, then ##\sin x## is as well.

Likes Genilson
I've never seen it this way, thank you very much!

What is a limit with integral and absolute value?

A limit with integral and absolute value is a mathematical concept used to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value. It involves taking the absolute value of the difference between the function's output and a given limit value, and then integrating this absolute value function to find the area under the curve.

Why is a limit with integral and absolute value useful?

A limit with integral and absolute value allows us to analyze functions that may not have a defined value at a certain point, such as when the function approaches infinity. It can also help us determine the convergence or divergence of certain series, and can be used to find the area between curves.

How is a limit with integral and absolute value calculated?

To calculate a limit with integral and absolute value, we first take the absolute value of the difference between the function's output and the given limit value. We then integrate this absolute value function over the interval between the limit value and the input value. The result of this integration will give us the area under the curve, which can then be used to determine the limit's behavior.

What are some common applications of a limit with integral and absolute value?

A limit with integral and absolute value is commonly used in calculus to solve problems related to finding the area under a curve, as well as determining the convergence or divergence of series. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of physical phenomena, such as electric fields and fluid flow.

Are there any limitations to using a limit with integral and absolute value?

One limitation of using a limit with integral and absolute value is that it can be difficult to compute for more complex functions. It also may not always provide an accurate representation of the function's behavior, as it is only an approximation. Additionally, it may not work for certain types of functions, such as those with discontinuities or infinite oscillations.