1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits and finding a constant value 'k'

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    Stick with me here, I don't know how to use something to add an equation in here!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a value of the constant k such that the limit exists:

lim x->4 (x^2 - k^2) / (x-4)

3. The attempt at a solution

I KNOW the solution is the limit will exist iff k = -4 and k = 4.

My problem is - does the numerator have to cancel out the denominator in order for a limit to exist? Or is that just the case here?

Cause the solution is:

So the only way for the denominator (x-4) to cancel out would be if k = -4 or 4... so i'm just wondering if that's a general rule?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The rule is that if the denominator goes to zero, the only way you can have a limit is if the numerator also goes to zero. For reasons that should be obvious if you think about how division works.
  4. Sep 25, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go back and review the limit theorems. Pay particular attention to the details on the one for division; a surprising number of people completely ignore them, and then have trouble dealing with limits that have a division in them. :frown:

By applying the fact the limit exists, you should be able to determine something about the thing of which you're taking the limit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?